Chucker or genuine world class bowler?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Dave Payn, May 6, 2004.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

2. Caveman Dan

Caveman Dan Member

In my opinion he's a chucker and always has been. If he was English he wouldn't be allowed to get away with it; for some reason he appears to be above the law.

Also since Sri Lanka have no decent bowlers (that includes Vaas) he's taken tons more wickets than he would have done playing for a better team. And he bowls a stupendous amount of overs in each Test. At least Courtney Walsh played alongside other world-class bowlers - Ambrose, Marshall, Bishop to name a few.
  3. Laucrimus

Laucrimus New Member

Chucker and a *****

(Edited: As we don't allow such words when talking about band contests, I don't feel we should here either, PB, Mod)
  4. rutty

rutty Active Member

World's finest bowler at the moment, no question. He's so consistent, and whatever you think of his action the statistics back up his class.

I'd be concerned about his chucker-status if he was a fast bowler, but considering he bowls at old lady pace it's hardly the end of the world if he can't keep his arm straight.
  5. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Didn't he undergo rigorous tests at an Aussie institute, and they found him 'clean'? :shock:
  6. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

He's a great bowler, and has had people trying to find a way to knock him for years, always failing! He has a strange elbow joint which he uses to full effect. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion, but I think the people moaning are the same sort of people that say Ronnie O'Sullivan is a cheat for being able to use both arms equally well... :roll:
  7. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

My thoughts.

1) if we didn't have the mass saturation of coverage by SKY, a lot of these chucking issues wouldn't even be considered.

2) The same technology that has cleared Murali is the same technology that has been used to condemn him in the past (at a different venue with different staff and no doubt with a different remit).

3) The human body simply cannot "bowl" as defined in the laws of cricket. The body turning in the delivery stride makes it impossible to keep the arm totally straight. This is borne out by the study done by (I think) Bristol University that showed that all cricketers tested had at least an 8% variation of arm position , thereby meaning that they all throw.

Bowlers in the past I've thought chucked.

• Ambrose, who was called three times in the first Red Stripe series he played in. (I first said this when England were winning the 89/90 series "before he takes 8-20 later" (it was actually 8-40))
      Walsh (never called, but there was a "chink" of his arm every ball to my eye)
      Geoff Cope (called and banned twice)
      Kirtley - looks worse when analysed at length than he does "live".
      Len Pascoe (quicker ball was outrageous, so he stopped using it)

Speed has nothing to do with it - if a player can turn the ball square whilst making it bounce outrageously, thereby making it very difficult to play, he gets as much of an advantage as a fast bowler chucking does.

The worst thing for me in all of this is that an umpire can no longer call a no ball if he thinks it's a chuck- he has to report it. Net result - in the U/19 world cup no less than 6 players were reported for suspect actions, yet their bowling gave their teams great success. That's not fair.
  8. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

OK, so I'm not the world's best cricketer, in fact I'm not even my teams best cricketer but I have NEVER been able to understand why people have problems facing spin bowlers. A spin bowler is only a dangerous opponent if you allow the ball to pitch!!! Hit it before it hits the ground and you can score mucho runs whilst annoying the hell out of the bowler at the same time!

9. Will the Sec

And your top score is?

And you're playing with WEM Brass Band (fine insitution though it is) rather than *** County Cricket Club because?

*** Insert the name of your favoured club here.

There have been perhaps 3 players in the world EVER who've been good enough to make such an arrogant boast and be able to truly justify it, and Ian Botham and his "step and fetch it" mentality wasn't one of them. (Fun it was to watch him, mind.)

Besides, hitting a spinner for 6 is nothing compared to spanking a genuine quickie straight back over his head for 6. As a frequent purveyor of this shot, I can vouch for that.

IIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN the red corner!!!!!! (OK, hiding behind his pads in front of the stumps)
    Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggggggggpppppppppppuuuuuussssssssssssssssssssss!!! A saggy old cloth cat, and a little loose at the seams. (And ears judging by his last post!) Loved by Emily, none the less!!

IIIIIIIIIIInnnnnnnnnnnNNNNNNNNNNNNN the Blue corner, 22 yards away with a red projectile......................

AAAAAAAAAAAAAnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnyyyyyyyyyyyyy half baked spin bowler who plays at least twice a season!!!!!!!!!!

A good bookmaker will only give 3-1 on that Bagpuss will last the over, but will give 5000-1 that he'll hit a six......

Should this challenge ever be taken up, it'll be £5 to watch, £10 for the grandstand, proceeds to tMP.........

10. Will the Sec