Christmas vs X-Mas

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by rex_b, Nov 19, 2004.

1. rex_b

rex_b New Member

Do you think one has a derogatory meaning or it is just short hand? I know that some people consider its use ok since the greek X stands for Chi but do you think one has more meaning than the other?
  2. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

im pretty sure the X is from a latin symbol used in the church on pics of christ so it just means christ
  3. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Actually, it's Old Greek. The early churches in the Eastern part of the Roman Empire used the Greek language. As symbol for the christ, they used the two first letters of his name: CHI (capital looks like our X) and RHO (capital looks like our P)

For the rest, I don't like the "X-mas" thing at all...
  4. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

well i was close i knew it was sommat associated, im no walking knowledge dictionary i just have too much time on me hands and post on forums like this
  5. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Neither am I, but going to a catholic school and even taking Greek and Latin for a few years must have left something behind in my head... :-?
  6. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

I had a friend who was very religious and when I talked to him on the net i always had to type out the full word because he got so offended with Xmas... I never understood it as it wasn't intended in any derogatory way but I obliged to keep him happy!
  7. six pints

six pints Active Member

both mean the same to me.... but im not that clever really....
  8. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I just use Xmas as shorthand to Christmas... both mean the same to me... as Christmas only means one thing... Christs Mass...
  9. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Perhaps we should write XP-mass (If chi rho is th abbreviation)

I always thought the X was to represent the Cross. Than again I guess they could have called it t-mas if that was the case.
  10. horny

horny Member

"Who's taken 'Christ' out of Xmas!" I hear ringing in my head!
  11. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I think this subject should cease. If it doesn't, 'Yule' be sorry.... :) :)