Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by little_miss_marcroft, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Which ones are your favourite?! There's like, SOOOOO many!! I love, love, love Mariah Carey, All I Want For Christmas Is You !!! WHAT A BEAUTY!! Can't beat putting it on a good old crimbo booze up, belting it out as loud as possible! CLASSIC!!

And Cliff Richard can sod off... no mentions for him allowed! We see him twice a year, when he releases something off Songs of Praise and when it p*ss*s down at Wimbledon. He's as predictable as The Met Office seeing one snowflake and declaring it's a 'white christmas'

*ahem* sorry.... anti-Cliff Richard lass :)

Anyways... what's your favourite?! Answers on a postcard....
  2. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Well being old (ish), and and old fashioned git to boot, The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire) as sung by Nat King Cole is up there for me, but overall, I love a good ol' choral Chrimbo Carol service with the Willcocks descants (well worn, but have stood the test of time) with organ and brass (band or ensemble - matters not! :))
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2004
  3. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Mind you, I'm occasionally partial to Kevin 'Bl**dy' Wilson's 'Hey Santa Claus'..... (not for the faint hearted....)
  4. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

Fairy Tale in New York...
    Great sing-a-long. Especially after a few...:guiness:guiness:guiness
  5. stephen_clapton

stephen_clapton New Member

With only 31 more carol concerts to go now :shock: , I would have to say "The Snowman". After playing loud stuff in smoky pubs, nothing better to shut the drunken men up and reduce 1-2 to tears (apart from the 1 fella in the corner who ALWAYS knows it). Lovely piece
  6. yr_epa

yr_epa Member

How bout "Let it Snow" (our Bb bass will be singing that with his backing group in our Xmas concert tonight!!!) Should be a good laugh!
  7. six pints

six pints Active Member

yep, its brillio!
    My fav one is john lennon so this is christmas/war is over. But i also love the classics- oh i wish it could be christmas everyday, and (so here it is) merry xmas everybody. They bring back great memories of the searles xmas party. Christmas is such a happy time, but in a way it also makes me quite sad, like just thinking about stuff. Sorry that was a bit off topic, but ive started thinking now...
  8. groovy

groovy Active Member

In band, I love Joy and Merry Christmas Everyone! When a Child is Born is nice too. Christmas Swingalong does my head in because I've played it so often. (then I ask myself - why do I have it playing in the background?)
  9. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Let's see...Christmas classics...

"Jingle Bell Rock" & "Sleigh Ride"

For the humour, ya gotta like "Grandma got ran over by a reindeer" & "Christmas at ground zero" (lest I forget "oh holy night")

I also like "Christmas is all around us" (I even think it's much better than "love is all around us")
  10. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

Ooooh yes!!! Definitely one of the best!

I agree with DP too - you can't beat 9 Lessons and Carols with the solo verse of Once in Royal and all the descants.

And for cheesiness and kitsch - I lurve Santa Baby!

Rach x
  11. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Member

Bah Humbug !!

don't get me wrong, i like christmas, i just cannot stand playing the same boring b****y tunes year in, year out !

come on you composers, write something interesting for us at crimbo !

as for a favourite...............

anything that is different and jolly (still yet to find it !)

12. T-Horn

T-Horn Member

Cat Stevens. merry christmas. Theres loads of cheesy ones that i like but i bore you all with them let alone shame myself with saying them!!!!
  13. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

my favourite is SleighRide! hehe, i love it!

but i also like Xmas Swingalong.

But i like "who is he?" feturin the cornet, its so pretty!
  14. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

Chris Rea - Driving Home for Christmas
    Eartha Kitt - Santa Baby

no crimbo is the same till i've heard these babies :d
  15. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

Ooooooooooh so many to choose from! :-D They're all amazing! but for sing alongs.. i dunno.. all the class ones like I ish it could be xmas everyday, White xmas, they're all good to sing to! :-D

I really want a xmas party/disco :woo Woooo partay! :-D lol
  16. akwarose

akwarose Active Member

good old slade... merry christmas everybody!!!!!
    OR the ORGINAL band aid song (not the new crap)

to play... the snowman :)
  17. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Lots and lots of those already mentioned

The Christmas Song (Chestnuts etc). Nat "king" Cole is fantastic!. Let it Snow, Merry Christmas Everybody (just for the "its chrrrrrrrriiiiiiissssssssttttttttmmmmmmaaaaassssss" bit!) Fairy Tale of New York - yeah loving all of those...

Had a bit of a "goosebump" moment with the John Lennon Merry Christmas / War is Over song last week. I was at a local "hell-hole" - which is cunningly disguised as a shopping mall - last Saturday and whilst barging my way through the thong of shoppers trying to get the latest toy / DVD / CD / Game, over the shop's PA system, as clear as day came...

"So this is Christmas - and what have we done..." I think I knew exactly what he meant with that line now...

Another one to add to the list, and slightly random, is the Macy Gray version of "Winter Wonderland" - you know, the one where she sounds a bit like Marge Simpson. It just makes me laugh. She can't have been serious can she?

Oh and I nearly forgot - to play it has to be Who is He? What a fantastic arrangement!
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2004
  18. lewis

lewis Member

I agree 100%. Winner every time.
  19. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I must admit as a song, I don't like either version! (but the new one even less. Just my preference). I have one last hurrah with my old employers, the PRS. Every year, numerous employees and helpers get together for a live music event every December (pop/rock etc.) and I'm in the backing band for a number of the songs being performed.

One department this year is getting together and singing Do They Know It's Christmas. Humph! I suppose I shouldn't whinge, really! But, having travelled back to London earlier this week for a rehearsal, one or two of us were thinking about grabbing one of the microphones mid song at the gig to shout 'Give us your ******* money!' But perhaps that wouldn't go down too well.... :) (That wasn't actually a SERIOUS consideration! :))

Still, of the original version, it certainly raised pots of money for a good cause so can't argue! :)

TIMBONE Active Member

Sorry David, this is not about music, it's about Christmas singles!!!