Christmas trees!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by emmah, Nov 29, 2007.

1. emmah

emmah New Member

Help I need some back.

I am desperately trying to get into the spirit of Christmas and thought it would be a good idea to put a tree up on Saturday 1st. However, my fella feels it is too early and no amount of nagging from me is getting anywhere. I have seriously tried everything, he has even said that if I come home with one he will give it to someone else.:(

When does everyone put there tree up??

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

This is bugging me too! Most of the city and town centres already have their Xmas trees & decorations lit up for the festive season but I haven't seen one house dare put up a sprig of mistletoe. I think traditionally it is 12 days before Christmas Day but some people insist on a week before or sometimes the day after Thanksgiving. I've read elsewhere online that decorating the house can start on the 1st of December but if it's a real tree getting bought, that's left until about a week or so before! I personally wait until a local merchant hits the town selling Xmas trees (in about a week's time I think!).
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I believe if you go back far enough, the tree used to be put up only on Christmas Eve so it was ready for the gifts to be placed around it, and it would then stay up through the "twelve days of Christmas". The tendency now is to put up both tree and decorations early, and to have them down almost as soon as the Christmas Bank Holidays are over.
  4. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

We get a real tree, so it goes up 2 Saturdays before Christmas day, and then usually comes down in the first weekend of Jan (by which time it's getting a bit bare anyway!).

Peter, I don't think you have to go back that far to find people putting trees up on Christmas Eve - certainly when my parents were young (postwar, early 50s) that was what they did.

I might be being a bit of an old scrooge here, but I find that keeping the period when you've actually got decorations/tree up shorter makes it more special. If you put your lights up after bonfire night and don't take them down until the middle of January (which happens quite a lot where I live:rolleyes: ) it kind of devalues it. Plus I've got kids, and if the tree went up on 1 December they'd be unbearably hyper by the day itself!

PS so I'm sorry emmah, but I agree with your other half!
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  5. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

Skelmanthorpe have a real tree too, that was up about a week ago.
  6. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

When I was a nipper, my parents always insisted that the tree and decorations go up as soon as school had finished, and I've stuck with that ever since. I think that, if it goes up too early, some of the magic is lost. You also end up with pine needles everywhere!

Interestingly enough, I've been working around Christmas twice in my career. I was in Tokyo from about the 3rd week of January 1999 and some shops still had their decorations up. Similarly, I worked in Gran Canaria in January 2000 and some shops had theirs up well into January, too.

Perhaps the retail industry will eventually get to a stage when the tree goes up after Hallowe'en and goes down in time for Valentine's :(
  7. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Don't be silly - as soon as January starts they'll need the space for Easter eggs :rolleyes:
  8. T Winch

T Winch Member

Christmas decorations should be put up 12 days before christmas and come down 12 days after. Anybody who puts them up any earlier should be fined. Fines should also be given to anyone displaying blow-up Santas (or any garish over-the-top tacky decorations for that matter) Bah! Humbug!
  9. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Christmas trees and decorations should go up on 24th December and come down on the 26th December.

They are called Christmas trees & christmas decorations so should only be up on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. They are not called late November/early December to early January trees and decorations.
  10. David Mann

David Mann Member

Our younger son's birthday is 19th December so we got into the routine of putting up the tree after that, and still do, even though he has left home. It it's not pouring with rain I'll probably put the outside twinkly lights up next weekend. Everything is taken down by 6th Jan.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  11. T Winch

T Winch Member

And there was me thinking I was being grumpy! :D
  12. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

My parents still do that - I think this year will be a little different as we are all going away for Christmas this year. I tend to put them up a week or so before Christmas and take them down whenever I can be bothered, or when I'm fed up of them! :rolleyes:
  13. andyp

andyp Active Member

If you're having a real one I'd suggest any more than 2 weeks before Christmas and it'll be drying out/dropping needles before New Year.

We usually get ours a week or two before. When we went to Harrogate the hotel had a tree up and decorated advertising Christmas dinner. 28th of September!!
  14. MissRepiano

MissRepiano New Member

LOL!!! :clap: Christmas seems to last for 3 months these days, and it's all a big build up for nothing. I wouldn't sat that christmas day is my favourite day of the year!
    A week/week and a half is PLENTY of time for decorations in my view. No need to be over the top (plus the longer your xmas lights are up the more it'll cost in electric!!)
  15. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Same Here! Bah! Humbug!

My team at work have been bugging me to put a christmas tree up for 2 weeks now and I have stopped them from doing this so far. I am a little concerned that with tomorrow being the 1st December they will try to put it up then.

Unlucky for them, I am at work tomorrow and will be all day so there will be no festive merriment what so ever! They can put the tree up 12 days before christmas but it will be down when we get back after the new year! Humbug!
  16. Tootsall

Tootsall New Member

Here you go: one christmas tree as may be appropropriate:

17. horn1

horn1 Member

I usually put my tree up the weekend before christmas but with christmas being early in the week I'll probably put it up the week before this year. I like to come home from work to my tree so if I put it up the sat before and took it down by the 6th jan that would just be school holidays this year :-( anytime before 1st Dec is stupid and the 1st two weekd of dec is excessive (in my humble opinion!) I like christmas but get annoyed when it starts before my birthday (25th oct)!!!
  18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Beware of the B&Q musical christmas tree! It plays festive tunes continously and can serious damage you mental health! :oops: