Christmas Solo's for Band

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Band_Beefcake, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Band_Beefcake

Band_Beefcake Member

I know I am very early in asking and don't really want to mention the dreaded 'C' word, though I will.

I am thinking about Christmas programming and would love to be able to give my soloists within the band something different to play than that they have been doing for years now.

I am asking for suggestions for solos for any prinicapl player or section.

All ideas welcomed!!

Thanks

James

2. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Hi James, Blackley have an arrangement of Candlelight Carol that Andrea Price did, its a solo for euphonium. There is also a good bass solo by Mark Freeh, I think its of Rudohlph the Red Nose Reindeer.

Andy

3. Cornet Luke

Cornet Luke Member

Frosty the Snowman is a Bass Trombone classic

4. waynefiler

waynefiler Member

Take a listen to 12 days of Christmas that is on Brass band of battle creek's Sleigh Bells and brass cd, also on that cd is Santa Claus is comin to town gor any Bb soloist arr. mark freeh.

5. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

My old bassmate Steve Butler had to play it on EEb Bass about five times every Christmas for about five years. He hated it and despised it so much he re Christened it "Frosty the ****ing Snowman" ~ Not quite in the festive Christmas spirit, but I could see where he was coming from !

~ Mr Wilx

6. blue juice

blue juice Member

There's an arrangement of O Holy Night for soprano cornet by Stephen Bulla that is brilliant, bit different but very effective. Babes in a Manger is a lovely euph duet based on the american version of away in a manger. If you want something different for the whole band try 'An Oompah Christmas' from just music, lots of fun!

7. its_jon

its_jon Member

What solo do you want. in what style and for which instrument ?

how hard do you want it to be to play

8. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Silent Night (arr. Barrie Gott) has been a favourite trombone solo for a few years now. It allows the soloist licence for 'silky smooth' playing in the upper register, with a 'super F' ending available too!

Little Lord Jesus is a less well-known solo for soprano cornet and is a fairly simple arrangement of Away in a Manger by Niels Silfverberg.

I'll post some more suggestions later.

9. The Silent Stars Go By – Cornet Solo
    The title “The Silent Stars Go By” is the 4[SUP]th[/SUP] line from the very popular carol “O Little Town Of Bethlehem”. Arranged now as a simple cornet solo. Playable by most levels of bands, perfect also for the younger soloist.
    Full score & parts: £17.95
    Direct Link - http://www.penninemusic.com/show_score_details.php?id=182&tf=S11.rtf

*FREE SOLOIST PART ON REQUEST - EMAIL sales@penninemusic.com

10. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Heh, he's not the only one to have done that. The adjusted words fit the first decoration of the melody (after the key change) perfectly.

I went so far one year as to arrange the 'Barnacle Bill the Sailor' air varie for band accompaniment as a replacement... We played it, and the audience clapped, but they preferred 'Frosty', and he was back the next year...

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Christmas Solo
    Christmas
  12. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I fear old Frosty is a fave with the punters and is therefore virtually immortal destined to appear on cheesy Xmas band progs for ever.
    If I ever met Frosty I'd take a blowlamp to him !

~ Mr Wilx

13. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

There's a really beautiful flugel solo, Away in a Manger, well worth playing if you have a decent flugel player.

14. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

But did you dress up as a snowman?

15. englishgill

englishgill Member

Judith Hayes arranged How Far is it to Bethlehem which, although not a solo, does feature the solo horn at the start .....

16. If you want to throw in something a little bit more 'weighty', 'Alleluia' from Mozart's Exultate Jubilate is frequently performed at Christmas in choral/orchestral concerts, and makes an effective cornet solo.

There used to be a popular book '29 cornet solos' which had an arrangement of this at the back, and there is definitely a band arrangement, if i remember correctly it was by Harry Mortimer.

17. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Didn't HM plagiarise somebody else's arrangement? Douglas Pope?

Apologies to HM if my knowledge is faulty on this point - I'm sure I was told this by a band conductor when I was a kid.

18. KernowSop

KernowSop Member

O Holy Night is a sop solo on the Soprano Legends CD. Kevin Crockford's playing of the solo raises hairs on the back of your neck.

19. We did a few decent solos on our Christmas Cd:
    O Holy Night Euph Solo,
    Santa's little helpers trom trio,
    When a child is born trom solo,
    Christmas lullaby horn solo.
    All the above by Darrol Barry. There was also a cornet solo of Away in a Manger (I think) that didn't make the CD.