Christmas Music Suggestions Please

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by tubafran, Sep 27, 2006.

1. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

As it's that time of year our library at Killamarsh is in need of some new music for Christmas - if anyone's got any suggestions for music we could buy for this season to add to our programme it would be greatly appreciated.

To save any duplication of stuff we've already got I'll list our current Christmas pieces

2 Canadian Christmas Carols
    Bach the Herald Angels Swing
    Caribbean Christmas
    Christmas Crackers
    Christmas Festival
    Christmas Joy
    Christmas Lullaby
    Christmas Offering
    Christmas Overture
    Christmas Piece
    Christmas Praise
    Christmas Roses
    Christmas Sketch
    Christmas Song
    Christmas Suite
    Christmas Swingalong
    Christmas Tryptych
    Cornet By Candlelight
    Christmas Marches & Songs
    Do They Know its Christmas?
    Fanfare for Christmas
    Frosty The Snowman
    Gaudette - (Newton)
    Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
    I Saw Momma Kissing Santa
    In Dulci Jubilo (Keith Wilkinson)
    Instant Christmas
    Jingle Bells
    Little Drummer Boy (Sparke)
    Mary's Boy Child
    O Holy Night (Wilkinson)
    Rudolph the Red Nosed
    Santa Claustrophobia
    Schneewaltzer
    Shepherds Carol
    Sleigh Ride - Anderson
    Sleigh Ride - Delius
    Star of Bethlehem
    Stop the Cavalry
    When a Child is Born
    White Christmas (Freeh)
    White Christmas (Sparke)
    Zither Carol

If you could also indicate what style the piece is that would be great too - thanks folks.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2006
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
  3. dickyg

dickyg Member

4. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Try these:
    Polar Express - arr. Duncan
    Do You Hear What I Hear - arr. Stowell
    Santa Claus is Comin' to Town - arr. Freeh

5. ju33les

ju33les Member

6. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Just had a look on Just Brass Christmas list and the following look interesting - anyone played these?

A Christmas Bolero - Darrol Barry
    The Nutcracker Sweet - Mark Freeh

7. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

Please have a look at

http://www.philipsparke.com/anglo_music1.htm

where you will see new arrangements of:

IN THE BLEAK MIDWINTER
    ONCE IN ROYAL DAVID'S CITY
    UKRAINIAN BELL CAROL
    VENI IMMANUEL
    SEE AMID THE WINTER'S SNOW
    O HOLY HIGHT
    CAROL OF THE SHEPHERDS

8. flashbarry

flashbarry Member

New releases for Christmas 2006 from Bernaerts Music by Darrol Barry:

A Christmas Celebration

Includes The Twelve Days of Christmas, See Amid The Winters Snow, Deck The Halls, Hark! The Herald Angels Sing, Coventry Carol, Masters In The Hall, Gloria in Excelsis Deo & We Wish You A Merry Christmas

A Jingle Bell Fantasy

Jingle Bells with a twist!

Feliz Navidad

A classic Christmas song by Jose Feliciano

Christmas Flourishes

The perfect opener for any Christmas Concert

Its The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Sung by the Andy Williams (and others!), a swirling addition to your Christmas concerts.

Rudolph around the world

Based on the traditional Christmas song “Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer”, Rudolph goes globetrotting!

The above titles are available from www.bernaertsmusic.com and have been recorded on their latest cd by Brass Band Willebroek and their conductor Frans Violet titled A Christmas Celebration.

For more information please feel free to contact me!

9. MartinT

MartinT Member

I have a CD by the Brass Band of Columbus with an arrangement of "Russian Christmas Music" (I think it is). Anyone know who publishes this?

10. He's not dead yet is he?!

11. knuxie35

knuxie35 Member

A little early for me to announce this but anyway:

Free Christmas arrangements for tuba ensemble or tuba quartet:

Titles and links to sound below.

O Holy Night.......EEEETTTT or EETT
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?pid=876481&T=5472

Li'l Tuba Dude.....EEEETTTT
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=438151&t=8

Silver Bells.......EETT
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=814524&t=6051

Email PDF only. I received over 50 emails last year for these arrangements.

Email me if interested. Thanks.

Ken F.
    www.kfsbrasschamber.com
    knuxie35@yahoo.com

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
  13. flashbarry

flashbarry Member

Thanks have changed the post! :oops:

14. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

I'm fairly certain that I've given ideas for Christmas music on tMP before but here are a few worth exploring on the new CD from The International Staff Band called Christmas Tidings which, incidentally, is available now!

Comfort and Joy (Martyn Thomas); A pure, unadulterated 'big band' style jazz arrangement for brass band of 'God rest ye merry gentlemen'.

The Proclamation of Christmas (Stephen Bulla); A clever and lively medley of Christmas carols featuring 'Hark the herald angels sing', 'Ding dong merrily on high', 'The first Nowell', 'While shepherds watched' and 'Angels from the realms of glory'.

Kings of Orient (David Ayma); A light-hearted addition to Christmas repertoire which is both fun to play and pleasing to listen to. Two carols are included, 'We three kings of Orient are' (in 2/4 time!) and 'Good King Wenceslas' all rounded off by some percussion 'slap-stick'.

Other titles not on this CD but which we'd recommend include the following;

Christmas Calypso (Peter Graham); An arrangement for brass band, in Caribbean style, of 'The virgin Mary had a baby boy'.

The Shining Star (Peter Graham); A scintillating Christmas march from the pen of Peter Graham, featuring the carol, 'O come all ye faithful', with occasional references to 'God rest ye merry, gentlemen'.

Jingle Bells(Norman Bearcroft); A very 'different' treatment of this Christmas favourite, in which he depicts an imaginary sleigh ride - including falling off at the end!

Gaudate (Kevin Norbury); A Christmas mini-overture featuring three medieval carols; 'Coventry Carol', 'Gaudete' and 'Unto us a boy is born'. A fun piece for player and listener alike.

15. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

:eek: Can't beleive your Christmas library hasn't got

Walking in the Air (The Snowman)
    or
    Troika

I beleive they are mandatory items at christmas concerts.

16. flugeldude666

flugeldude666 Member

http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=23830

jacob larsen wrote it itys pretty mint i like it.

its jingle bells but alot better than the simple other arrangements out there. it has a bit of character about it which is hard to include in a composition like this i think.

17. winterman

winterman Member

We've had A Christmas Bolero for a couple of years now, not bad, goes down well with the audiences.

18. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

We have the Nutcracker - as with all Mark's charts, this one is also superb. (Might as well give Mark a plug as this seems to have turned into a classified ad thread! ;) )

19. bignige

bignige Member

Recommend Veni Emmanual - Philip Sparke. Lovely arrangement.

Also SA Christmas Praise (not the old carol book) contains Christmas Calypso, Shining Star, The Carollers and many other good marches and arrangements. Think they were £3.95 a book but I see that individual sets are now coming out.

20. Podgypickle

Podgypickle Member

You can always try Philip Harpers arrangement of Sleigh Ride or a fantastic piece called Yule Dance (a christmas selection done in a sort of Riverdane style hence the title). Also Candlelight Carol a beautiful piece.

Think they are all available from Wright & Round. My band actually did a demo record of a some new releases of christmas music from W&R worth having a look at the web site.

21. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

Hello Mr Hargate :) I see that Julie has already given you a link, just in case you havn't been there yet, I will follow Philip and Darrol's good example, and post it on here :p By the way, these are all available on Just Brass as well.

FANFARE FOR CHRISTMAS

A short fanfare to begin your Christmas Concert, start the Carol Service, or welcome a special guest. Based on the well known carol "GOOD CHRISTIAN MEN REJOICE".

FOLK DANCE & CAROL

This music aims to capture the feeling of a Village celebration. It begins with a lively Jig, where the music joyfully dances around the band. It then settles down to two verses of that beautiful melody by Gustav Holst, "In the Bleak Mid-Winter". It then quickly 'gets on it's feet' again, and finishes off the celebration with the Dance and the Carol mingling together.

XMAS DITTY

Seasonal 'fun' for the band, (and the audience of course). It begins with yet another rendition of Jingle Bells, "Wait a minute though, is someone out of tune somewhere?, is that who some of the band are shouting at?, why am I thinking of Les Dawson? Back to the music - it's Good King Wenceslas, how did Rule Britanniaget in there?, and I'm sure that was the end of God Save the Queen". After an unadulterated version of O Come, all ye faithful, the final section features Jingle Bells and Good King Wenceslas claiming the last spot together. The piece ends with the well known 'AMEN' cadence - but there's still a little surprise on the last chord!

COWBOY CAROL

When I first thought about arranging this well known carol, it was going to be for band and choir. I did however change my mind - every band part has a 'songsheet' attached to it. Between 10 & 14 of the band members are directed to the songsheet, (every member of the band is also a vocalist at some point in the proceedings)! before the full band plays a final verse and chorus of this fabulous Cecil Broadhurst song as a big ending.Of course, it is still possible to perform it with a choir as well/instead, or even a soloist. (If you wish, the scoring means that this would also be an effective part of your programme without any vocals).

22. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

*cough!* ah-hem! http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showpost.php?p=134944&postcount=8 ;)