Christmas jobs

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BIG Paul, Nov 20, 2007.

1. BIG Paul

BIG Paul Member

as I was just updating our jobs list for the Christmas period I was wondering what the largest number of jobs each band has done between 1st Dec and 25th December i apologise if this has been done before.

a few years ago we did 31 jobs in the 24 days (nothing on Christmas day)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Christmas jobs
    jobs list
    largest number of jobs
    Christmas period
    band
  3. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

lol

31 jobs?! Blimey - i thought we had a busy time...

We have one weekend where we have Carolling Thursday, Indoor Concert Friday, Outdoor concert Sunday, Indoor Concert Monday and then another indoor concert Thursday. I thought that was tough!

4. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

I have 22, but then i have got 5 of those over the weekend of 1st/2nd december

5. flugtastic

flugtastic Member

Dont be getting any ideas Paul lol :biggrin: I think we have got plety planned for this xmas :p BTW when is our xmas concert lol

6. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I have several days where we have 3 jobs in the one Day but havn't totaled them all up yet, might be an interesting idea to find out just how many we are doing

7. chizzum

chizzum Member

About 16/17 within the 24 days! And that was all youth bands!

8. Stan

Stan New Member

Enderby have 20 seperate occasions upto 5 hours in duration. This includes, both Christmas day and boxing day.

9. on_castors

on_castors Member

.....and they wonder why bands disappear for lack of players.

I suspect most people won't work as many days in December as some will have band jobs!

I am all for a bit of extra effort to keep bands solvent, but even hermits with leprosy have more of a "life" than this level of gigs would allow!! :-(

10. David Mann

David Mann Member

Au contraire mon ami, Enderby are still growing and with a big pool of players and efficient rotas the jobs can be covered. Now if anyone chooses to turn out to all the jobs I'd agree they might be advised there's more to life than band!:biggrin:

11. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

You will have to go a long way to beat Grange Moor. When I was there they would have a couple of groups out every night.
    They regularly raised enough money to keep the band going for the next year.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Christmas jobs
    jobs list
    largest number of jobs
    Christmas period
    band
  13. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

I remember once doing that with a band (who shall remain unnmaed) and they raised about enough money to run the electricity for the next rehearsal. Most people actually pretended they were out

14. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

All toted up between Band and ensamble at work will have 32 jobs

15. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

The Christmas slog seems to be the way for many local bands I know - Band A have 14 jobs in 23 days, Band B have 12 jobs in 16 days and my own band, KSB have 7 jobs in 17 days (plus we cancel most rehearsals in December). In terms of demands on the players it's therefore no different to any other month.

Over recent years we've dropped the outdoor carolling jobs and concentrated on indoor concerts - it's warmer and we get a good income in December through them. We also get a reasonable player attendance - not too many clashes with the other events in peoples lives (although I'll still be looking for deps).

BBSBB has 5 indoor concerts and 2 collecting jobs.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2007
  16. David Mann

David Mann Member

Question - do you still play "Frosty the Snowman" ,"Jingle Bells" and "Let it Snow" in Oz, or do you substitute "Summer Holiday"?:-?

17. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

One last year! I was getting withdrawal symptoms....

18. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

It's not as bad as it sounds if you plan it carefully. Find the right venues and outdoor carolling can be very lucrative. You only need 1/2 dozen players for carols so by the time you split the adult band, bring in our junior band to help out (people always give more when there's kids playing and it's good experience for them) you can do at least 4 and up to 6 or 7 jobs with each player only having to turn out once.

19. on_castors

on_castors Member

If you say so. :-?
    Now my main limits are health related, but when I was fitter and working as well as very active in other organisations, I have been over-inundated with Band commitments & no amount of planning produces any more time than is available, and December is all too short!

I have left a band before due to pressure of jobs. In the past I had a very active time with other organisations as well as band, and however organised, it ends up being out every night and weekend out through December and the only Christmas shopping you get is done while the band has 10 minutes break! Not everyone's family can cope with this, and I doubt I would let my commitments suffer too much. To add insult to injury, January will invariably consist of being bored to death for want of something to do!

When there is the option not to turn up to all the jobs, then certain individuals will use that option over freely, and it ends up that the same faces are there all the time.

Certain outdoor carolling jobs I have been involved with in the past produce many hundreds of pounds per session, (say 3 or 400 plus quid per hour) but in more recent times those I have been to turn out to be a lot slower in producing a return on our investment in time :-(

20. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

We Played Frosty last night at one of our first jobs, Rudolf and I don't think we played jingle bells last night but we will befor We get to Christmas.
    We are fortunate that our street caroling can be done in shirt sleeves as it is Much warmer than I remember it being when I was living in the UK.

picture shows how we do street caroling in Brisbane

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2007
  21. Stan

Stan New Member

Christmas Carols - Anyone else started yet

Our band had been booked to play at a garden centre Wednesday and Thursday (15th/16th October) this week. We get there on the Wednesday to find they were expecting Christmas Carols
    Carols in the middle of October... That is just wrong:icon_evil:

22. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

We were asked to play a 'mixed' programme at a Charity evening/Christmas launch for a local garden centre on October 2nd....:icon_rolleyes:

(Bit surreal, actually - programme included:
    Aces High
    Mistletoe and Wine
    Singin' in the Rain
    Do They Know It's Christmas
    :icon_lol: )