Christmas is a coming

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by jpbray, Sep 10, 2004.

1. jpbray

jpbray Member

What is the earliest anyone has started Caroling? Do we hate or love it?

Last year we did a 2 Hour stint outside ASDA, the band got it together and I am sad to say I enjoyed it. :shock:
  2. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

I alwayshate the idea of carrolling but enjoy it when it happens.

With 2 kids in our junior band I tend to get roped in to all their sessions as well.
  3. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

i usually try to avoid it... especially outdoor gigs!
  4. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I absolutely love Christmas jobs. Makes you feel all good inside. After last years carol service in the local church however I'm thinking of getting the Christmas music out now to rehearse rather than three days before the gig.
  5. groovy

groovy Active Member

The bad part is that we always play for longer at Christmas (eg 10-3, Saturday and Sunday, + concerts) yet our Xmas repitoire is smaller than our normal one. it gets to the stage of "If we play that ****** Christmas swingalong again...:mad: :evil: :ranting2: :hammer "
  6. Spanky Rear

Spanky Rear Member

Someone told me recently that when they were out carolling with a local Band a few years back a woman interrupted with the request that they play louder since she was on the phone to her sister in Texas and her sister had said they were playing beautifully.Apparently the woman then held the phone receiver out of her window.
  7. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

When I was a lad......

and was playing with my home town band, we used to start carolling on the 1st of December. We played under street lighting outside houses and would try to get around all the streets of the town by Christmas Eve. As well as this, we played every Saturday in December outside the towns shopping precinct for about 5 hours. It was a killer! Nowadays, they just play inside a supermarket - they get alot more money, but there's nothing quite like the feeling of your mouthpiece sticking to your lips with the sheer cold on a freezing winters night and your fingers being so cold that you can't feel your valves!!
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2004
  8. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

It was like this for me as well. We had a set of routes that we covered religiously every year (if you'll pardon the pun) and we always got drinks/mince pies and so on from the nice people. I was usually very wealthy by the end of the Christmas season.

One year our solo euph (now sadly deceased) got his mouthpiece frozen to his moustache. He swore blind the only way he could get it off without it hurting was to dip the end in a glass of whisky and suck it through the mouthpiece :)

I'm convinced he was lying :)