Christmas Horn solos

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Masterblaster jnr, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

At most concerts, my band has about 5 soloists, but at christmas we can only find one for euph. I was wondering if anyone knew any Horn solos with band accompaniment to add another solo to our "christmas list"
  2. Masterblaster jnr

Maybe there is a start with the star of bethlehem
  3. HBB

HBB Active Member

Apparently there's an "in the bleakmidwinter" but I have no more detail than that! Sorry
  4. Masterblaster jnr

Could you not arrange sum'ink decent for th'orn.
  5. HBB

HBB Active Member

Indeed I could - but have no time whatsoever - I'm actually for the first time ever, swamped with Uni work!!
  6. Masterblaster jnr

What happened to your horn twelvetet "don't stop me now"
  7. HBB

HBB Active Member

Oooh... this is Jonathan! Heeeey!
    Yea.... it's not christmassy, or legal... and I didn't do it! :p (Shhhh)
  8. Masterblaster jnr

You could add sleigh bells
  9. Masterblaster jnr

and maybe get copyright on it and earn a bob or two
  10. flashbarry

flashbarry Member

A Christmas Lullaby wrote for my wife Rachael who premiered it with Longridge Band in 2001.

Available from Studio Music

11. T Winch

T Winch Member

There is an arrangement of Away in a Manger called "Little Lord Jesus". It's actually a soprano solo but it works equally well on horn. It's an SP&S publication arranged by Neils Silverberg. Follow this link to hear a recording.
  12. Gavin

Gavin Supporting Member

Hey Ben,

Don't forget your very own 'A Christmas Comingle' that we've published for you and can be purchased from us at

It's a 6 minute medley including 'Good King Wenceslas'; 'Away in Manger'; 'Jingle Bells'; 'The First Nowell'; 'Silent Night' etc.
  13. HBB

HBB Active Member

Oh yea! I totally forgot about that! I'm such a dunce!
  14. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

You need to get them to update your biog :D , and put a new piccy on ( you look about 12 in the one on there! :D ).
  15. Masterblaster jnr

sounds quite good, but the problem is there are so many christmas pieces which are selections of the same things. it will seem to the audience, it is just another of the same with someone stood up
  16. HBB

HBB Active Member

How about this moody one..

Attached Files:

17. Masterblaster jnr

Are there also any slightly more technical, or highbrow. If not then carry on with the slower ones.
  18. Masterblaster jnr

The problem is there aren't that many technically difficult christmas pieces in general:frown:
  19. tomlewis

tomlewis New Member

20. Active Member

Thank you for this plug, it's on the World of Brass website HERE.

Rodney Newton reviewed it in British Bandsman in 2005 and wrote; Written as a soprano cornet solo, this is a beautiful working of a well-loved carol, but I think it will need a very competent soloist to do it justice, for all its simplicity. The band parts are simple enough (although the BBb basses descend to the depths in places) but the solo part requires total control for a secure reading. Having said that, this arrangement is very attractive and is a most welcome addition to the meagre solo repertoire for the soprano cornet. It is well worth considering, and should provide a vehicle for a competent player to demonstrate the lovely, silvery qualities of that most treacherous of brass band instruments.