Christmas Eve Pub and Club runs

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by postie, Dec 22, 2004.

1. postie

postie Member

I was just wondering whether any bands round the country do a similar thing to us. On Christmas Eve Bestwood Black Diamonds are doing a carolling club run around Hucknall in fancy dress. I know that Carlton Brass do the same as Raspberry used to be a member. It is always a fun night and a good percentage of our players do turn out.

2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

At Hadleigh we visit a number of retirement homes, a street party and the Conservative Club on Christmas Eve. It usually involves about half of the band, with some of us visiting the hospital on Christmas morning. Attendance at both events is entirely optional, although we do try to ensure that we have a balance :shock: ;) :D

3. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Many years ago a band who i played with we went round on Xmas Eve a 20 mile radius and called in a good number of pubs.:guiness (There was only 5 of us getting a bit of cash for ourselves):woo

We ended up with with over £50.00 each a good nights work it turned out to be:) :metal: :woo from 7-11.30

4. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

Having been on the xmas pub runs with both Bestwood and Carlton I can say they are great fun and have become a big traditional with some of the local notts bands. We were talking about this at band the other day and apparently Flixton used to do a similar thing a few years ago...here's to getting it started up again!!1 :biggrin::guiness

5. Raspberry

Raspberry Member

Can't believe you're missing it again this year Rach!

It is extremely good fun and at the same time raises money for the band.

To all the bands playing on Christmas Eve / morning - have a good one!

6. Revolution Show Corps-pub run

Revolution Show Corps (ex Queensbury Scouts Marching Brass) are doing a pub run tonight, i'm tagging aslong with them as well to sample the be... i mean standard of playing (yea course) but i think it will pull in a bit of money for them

im gunna put it to my band next year
    Rob

7. peatair

peatair Member

Yes - great fun. Hawk Green (Marple) have done a few "runs" over the last couple of years - just in our own locality. Funds help to keep the band solvent.

8. kate_the_horn

kate_the_horn New Member

Barnton Band (stabby jnr)
    and Mereside Brass are both out 2moz night!

cant wait!

kx

9. Revolution lot

hey,

just finished and got home from the run,
    raised god knows how much cash, but every penny was worth it, no matter what responce we got, good one, sarci one, poor one, we still played, and got a handful of cash in our tins.

its definetly something i'm taking back to my band, i mean its what ?

3 hours or so work, plus a few on the way,

and at least £200 which isn't that bad, i mean it can pay for a mini bus to a gig or something, a charity performance,

besides it all helps,

the Revolution lot havd got about £2000 ish for the christmas gigs this year what about you lot?

Robert Batty
    18th Halifax BB
    Halifax BBGB
    (Revolution Show Corps pub run staff)

10. Andy Moore

Andy Moore Member

... Nope

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Christmas Eve Pub and Club
    Christmas Eve Bestwood Black Diamonds
    Hucknall
    Carlton Brass
    Raspberry
  12. Dawnys_flug

Dawnys_flug Member

yep just got back in! Excellent night! Very eventful :-? Seen tonnes of people i haven't seen for ages! and had a good lot of food and drink too! yey! merry xmas everyone from a merry Dawn!

13. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

....and shes just given me the list of everything she had..... what a dangerous mixture!!! :lol: :p ;)

i was good and stayed away from the booze today- still feeling a bit fragile from yesterdays episode :-D :lol:

14. lister89

lister89 Member

Yep, have just come in from it... thanks for the free booze pubs :)

Was really good fun! HAPPY CHRISTMAS!

Luv LIZZIE xXx

15. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

We did our pub crawl around St Agnes last night! It went really well - lots of £5/£10 notes going into the bucket and we had a laugh at the same time! :D

16. postie

postie Member

Our annual club run went very well last night an hectic period is now at an end. Just wondered if anyone has noticed the subculture in the clubs of abysmal acts. We went into a club in Hucknall last night and they were begging for us to stay. The guy they had on playing was quite the worst act I have ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Had a really good visit to the hospital this year, if a little traumatic: as we arrived, a crash team was working on a patient just arrived by ambulance, and as we went round we met the victims of a road accident the previous day: daughter and grandmother with minor injuries, mother undergoing surgery and the father had been killed. It really put things in perspective, but at least we were able to stop and offer a prayer for those involved.

Whereas usually we have just stood by the nursing station at the entrance to each ward, in the very first one there were patients who were bedridden who wanted to se the band, and it was suggested that we processs around the ward as we played. This idea stuck, an we ended up doing this not only in each ward but also as we moved between them along the corridors - all very well, but it meant we did about twice as much laying as usual with very little break in between!