Christmas Cornet Solos?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by simonbassbone, Sep 7, 2006.

1. simonbassbone

simonbassbone Member

I've been waiting so that I'm not the first to mention the dreaded (or much loved) C....... word. Starting to think about Christmas Concert and would like to feature our solo cornet and can't think of any decent Christmas cornet solos........Any suggestions........thanks
  2. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

Hi there, although not a solo, but a duet for Bb and Eb cornet, have a look at this arrangement by Roger Thorne of Silent Night.

you should be able to hear it aswell.

It was played by Myself and Dave Readhead last Christmas and went down really well.
  3. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Last year CK played away in a manger with Emley. nice arrangement, solo opening with a staggered entering quartet, simple verse, some strange bass (long note thing we never seemed to get the hang of) then a brilliant descant over the final verse.

Well worth a look at went down well, and nice to play.

4. jackocorn

jackocorn Member

A mate of mine did me a nice arrangement of The Christmas Song (aka Chestnuts roasting on an open fire . . .). I'll see if he'll let you have a copy if you want?
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  5. 1st Position

1st Position Member

You could try Mark Freeh's arrangement of Santa Claus is coming to Town, works on any Bb instrument (I've done it on trombone). It's a superb arrangement - but your sop player won't thank you for picking it.
  6. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

There is an arrangement of "Away in a Manger" by Peter Graham (I think) for Cornet/Flugel and band.
    I'm sure there are plenty of "Oh Holy Night" arrangements for Cornet and Band.
  7. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

I have done O Holy Night on a couple of occasions. I know it is normally done as a Euph solo but does sound nice on cornet
  8. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Santa Claus is comin' to town arr. Freeh. Probably better on Trumpet but went down a treat at our concerts last year!
  9. persins

persins Member

Not a full blown solo but Three King Swing is always worth a giggle! Especially if you ban them from just playing the dots!!
    Years ago, at Tadley Concert brass, we had a bit of a "battle" between two cornet players as to who could produce the most ridiculous interpretation of the rep solo in the middle.

The weird thing was that the conductor then joined in and, having not played regularly for a number of years, went and blew them both out of the water!!!
  10. flashbarry

flashbarry Member

A Winter's Tale as sung by David Essex is a nice flugel solo but also works well for cornet. Available from Prima Arts

11. gerry

gerry Supporting Member

Christmas Cornet Solo's?

Try this very new one:

Santa Baby - arr. Rieks van der Velde(as performed by Kylie Minogue!!)

Sound Sample + Scorch File available on:

With seasonal greetings,

Lake Music Publications
  12. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

13. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

I've arranged Good King Wenceslas as an air varie. It was originally written for Euphonium, but there's no reason why it can't be played on cornet.

14. knuxie35

knuxie35 Member

15. bell buffer

bell buffer New Member

what about frosty the snowman or when santa got stuck up the chimney ??
  16. Alan Fernie

Alan Fernie Member

I've done a couple of Christmas cornet solos; "Oh Holy Night" appears in the suite "The Spirit of Christmas", and can be played as a separate item, and I arranged the "Rocking Carol" for my niece to play a couple of years back. Like most of my stuff, they're pretty straightforward to put on (I'm always short of rehearsal time for my bands' Christmas concerts), and both are published by Obrasso.