Christmas Concerts programming

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by tubafran, Nov 25, 2013.

1. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

When in comes to programming Christmas concerts what does your band do? All Christmas themed music or a mixture of other music too?

2. DRW

DRW New Member

We usually keep it Christmas themed, including things related to Christmas time - not just Christmas tunes.

3. Backrowdiva

Backrowdiva Member

We tend to go for a 1st half of music that we've programmed in the summer, then a second half of Christmas stuff

4. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

yep we've done that with the films that are always on at Christmas so you can add Great Escape, Mary Poppins, Sound Of Music - anything with John Williams sound track.

5. Backrowdiva

Backrowdiva Member

That's what my other band are doing!

6. DRW

DRW New Member

It's also worth considering 'inventions' like Christmas Post Horn Galop (usual version with addition of sleigh bells), Christmas Floral Dance (usual version with addition of sleigh bells), Christmas Chit Chit Polka (usual version with addition of sleigh bells) etc...

It usually raises a smile simply for the cheek of it! :)

7. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Just begs for Christmas Hootenany and Christmas Instant Concert (usual versions with addition of sleigh bells). Maybe that's what you meant by etc. :)

Christmas concerts I've been involved in over the years have generally featured Christmas music only, carols, selections, marches etc.; there's a lot of quality music out there and more than enough to present a well rounded program.

8. Check the BVT Website in Belgium.
    Some xmas stuff on there.
    Some are different.
    One of the ones I did is on their where I gave Simple gifts with Shendoah a nice little piece for xmas plus quite a few more

9. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

Ive seen "Simple Gifts" in xmas programs a few times over the years and never totally understood why. I presume because it has the word "gift" in the title. But as far as im aware (and there is a very good chance I could be wrong) the song is about the simplicity of the life and not actually about presents with it being a Shaker hymn and all. "tis a gift to be simple" etc????

10. The Song was used a lot by the shakers during the thanksgiving and then since it seems to have been taking on as an xmas piece.
    It appears it was used in an American show in the 1990s and as been used since at xmas.
    Its a nice so it should'nt matter when its played.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Christmas Concerts
    Christmas
    programming Christmas concerts
    Christmas themed music
  12. Backrowdiva

Backrowdiva Member

Troika falls into the same vein I think, not strictly a Christmas Tune, but ends up on a lot of Christmas programs

13. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

It's the words to Lord of the Dance Toby - especially the third and fourth lines of the first verse. I think it becomes something of a Christmas ditty when used to these words, rather than the words of Simple Gifts.

"I Danced in the morning when the world was begun,

And I danced on the moon and the stars and the sun;

And I Came down from Heaven and I danced on the earth

At Bethlehem I had my birth."

14. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Not to forget Instant Christmas arranged B Fraser. Whilst mentioning non-Christmas that is a Christmas tune - Greensleeves is the tune to What Child Is This

15. nethers

nethers Active Member

At Dalewool we do the standard Christmas fare but throw in some other stuff. We'll be doing Perpetuum Mobile, Georgia On My Mind, Peace (John Golland), Ad Optimum (Peter Graham) and some other things I can't remember now.

I think 2 hours of solid Christmas cheese is a lot for anyone to tolerate!

16. bbg

bbg Member

We tend to go for "all Christmas" once we start the lights-switch-on, Christmas market-type outdoor jobs from late November; indoors it is generally all Christmas as well although one regular venue has been known to have requests for other music thrown in as well.
    The usual suspects come out year after year - Swing, Swingalong, The Snowman, Merry Christmas Everyone/Everybody........ - with a few
    different pieces as well, some loved by certain players and detested by others - for me "O Magnum Mysterium" is exquisite and "Fairytale of New York" execrable but others disagree!

17. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Ad Optimum - there's a cracker that hardly anyone plays. Had forgotten about that one!

18. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

"Cornet Carillon" is another example of "non" Christmas music sometimes used. I have an exquisite recording of this by Hannaford Street Silver Band on a Christmas CD they produced some years ago. Norman Bearcroft wrote a piece called "Joyous Carillon" that I think would be equally suitable.

"I Saw Three Ships" in a great arrangement by Brian Bowen is a must listen for me. Check it out if you're not familiar with it.

19. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Just thought about another type of different Christmas music - mixed with a classic item so Christmas Bolero (arr Barry) and I think there's a First Noel/Pachelbel's Canon mash-up

and a tune I also hear in my head in December from the 80s TV programme The Box Of Delights which is an orchestral arrangement of "The First Nowell" from the Carol Symphony by Victor Hely-Hutchinson

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  20. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

I try to go all Christmas, we've found from audiences over the last few years, that when they come to a Christmas concert they expect to hear music of the season - There's so much Christmas music out there you can create a program as balanced and interesting as a regular one with a little bit of work and research.

21. iffytboner

iffytboner Member

I still cant think of Cornet Carillon without the old ad for Websters Pennine Bitter creeping in! Sorry - showing my age

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Christmas Concerts
    Christmas
    programming Christmas concerts
    Christmas themed music