Christmas cake and cheese. Love or hate?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by flugel_fancy, Dec 17, 2007.

1. flugel_fancy

flugel_fancy Member

Friday night I was introduced to a strange coupling of 2 foods that I had never had before. Christmas cake and cheese. Is this a Yorkshire/local thing (Coming from South West Wales) as I I've not heard of this before?!

Needless to say, to my surprise, it was actually really nice so thank you to the person who introduced this to me.

So what does everyone think about mixing 2 completely different foods together? Anything you can think of that you've had that when put together are strangely appealing? Id love to know what concoctions are out there!!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Yorkshire
    South West Wales
    surprise
    different foods
    local thing
  3. Ruthless

Ruthless Member

Not strange at all!! I love it - I'm originally from the midlands but not sure of its origins. Did you have cheddar or stilton? both are great with Christmas cake

I also love a strong cheddar cheese with a crisp apple.

4. flugel_fancy

flugel_fancy Member

Well the first piece I had was a very mild white cheese but when it was realised that I liked it another piece came my way with what I think was red leicester. Have got some wiltshire with cranberry in the fridge but not sure if that would be too many flavours all in one blow! :tongue:

I think finding the origin of cake and cheese is my new mission!

5. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

With a really mature Cheddar! Yuuuuummmmy!

6. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

i can confirm that this is a yorkshire combination.

traditionally washed down with a glass of Whiskey.

My grandfather would not eat Christmas cake any other way

7. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

And should therefore only be attempted using finest Wensleydale, preferably with a picture of Wallace and Grommit on it. All other cheese are but pale imitations.
    BMB
    xx

8. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Chrissy cake and cheese (Wensleydale preferably) classic combination.
    My preference is to have it with a nice vintage port, yummy

9. bigmamabadger

Port is for sailors. By law the only beverage allowed with Wensleydale within the ancient borders of the Kingdom of Yorkshire (Those bits of it which haven't been nicked by Cumbria, Cleveland, Derbyshire etc. Ha ha...) is Black Sheep.
    BMB
    xx

10. flugel_fancy

flugel_fancy Member

Ale and cheese? Doesn't sound too apetising at all! But you can give me a port and brandy any day keeps me warm and helps me sleep!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  11. steve butler

Mmmm black sheep, must remember to stash some in my sailing dinjy

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Yorkshire
    South West Wales
    surprise
    different foods
    local thing
  13. bigmamabadger

Have you never had a proper Welsh Rarebit, bach? :tongue: Calls herself Welsh...:rolleyes:
    BMB
    xx

14. flugel_fancy

flugel_fancy Member

Ah South West Wales a lot different to the rest of it! I'm sure the rest of Wales call it the little England beyond Wales!

I though that was cheese on toast??!

I will make it a priority to buy some real Ale and wensleydale and then I can give an honest opinion! But can't see how they could compliment each other!

15. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

You just can't beat christmas cake and chedder, mmmmm

16. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Christmas cake, wensleydale and black sheep. Can't beat it (unless you take away the cake and the wensleydale!).

Black sheep. Can't beat it!

17. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

funnily enough christmas cake and cheddar is what I had for supper last night! It's one of those odd things, sounds ridiculous, but works really well.

18. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I reckon christmas cakes should be redesigned and have a layer of cheese instead of the marzipan - can't stand marzipan.

19. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

There's one for you perksy, a Christmas cake and cheese (with Black sheep beer) sausage!!

20. bassbone

bassbone Member

Last year you could buy Christmas cake/cheddar combined as a cheese, in supermarkets down here!

I have always eaten fruit cake and malt loaf with all kinds of cheese. Came from my mother who was originally from Shiney Row, County Durham.

21. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Christmas Cake YUK!!!!!!! Should be taken off the shelves off all shops and banned from been eaten its vile;i cant stand it.:mad: :hammer me on top Xmas cake on bottom
    Now cheese just a real nice tasty strong one with a few pints/bottles of real strong ale;
    Now youre talking:woo :woo :clap:

22. steve butler

Eh I think you've hit on a good idea there.
    I always insist on uncovered chrissy cake, like you I find marzipan minging.

Oops, just read that through - I don't mean "you" are minging just the marzipan. Anyone with a big horn can't be minging -- stop rambling man.

Thats me not you (thats rambling - if you see what I mean)

Yes I'm going back to the home now :-?