Christian?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by imthemaddude, Apr 23, 2004.

1. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

I think Do you believe in God is a thread people find difficult to answer. I mean in this multicultural society surely it should read 'a God' but i dunno. I thought it would be interesting to see how many people are church-going Christians on here?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    thread
    society
    people
    Christians
    God
  3. Nat

Nat Member

churches hold too many bad memories for me but i have lots of respect for people who have that faith

4. imthemaddude

Being a christian is much more than just 'church'. Most people have sterotypical images of church being organist, hymns and old people. I'll pose a thought to you people......Why are there 18,000 young christians going on a week camp alone, why are there Christian songs sung in church in the charts? Most people have not seen how churches have developed and moved on - they are very cool now adays - drum kits, electric guitars, powerpoint, free student food! You should check them out before making a sterotypical view. There are as many types of churches and forms of worship as there are numbers in your local chinese takeaway.

5. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

But in the interests of fairness it should be noted that musics old and new are also readily available outside of the church!

It's interesting that you should use music - rather than any religious discussion - as a means of enticing someone to go to church, although it has to be said, you certainly aren't the first!

D

6. imthemaddude

It annoys me a bit cos im confirmed methodist and at home my church is full of 14 old ladies and the odd old men who are lovely and I love it - I played church for them and all sorts but it took a lot of commitment as a lonely teenager to stick to that when I knew I could go to a church with hundreds of young people my age and singing up beat songs so thats what I do at uni - don't get me wrong I love both sorts and enjoy the changes but I think its sad that people think that church is more of the first type and so they think its boring and yes many still are and they are great but people suit different churches - a bit like different bands - but it's difficult to get that across to people without them experiencing it for themselves.

7. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I was brought up with a Christian mum and an atheist dad! Although I have a lot of respect for it i would not class myself as 'Christian'. I feel I have a pretty balanced view and as a young teenager I was given the option to choose whether I went to church or not.....I don't feel particularly religious myself although I would not say that I don't believe it god. I do believe now that, although I have leant a lot from having parents that believe in both sides.

8. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

9. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

having spoken to a buddhist monk for about 2 hours on Saturday (it's amazing the random things that you can find to do in Stretford...) I'm beginning to think that there's not a huge amount of difference between the religions... other than the whole veggie thing it all seemed to be the same basic ideas, with different names for the entity you pray/meditate to. So basically I think Christian/Buddhist/Hindu/Gaian/Klingon, as long as you have something giving you some sort of guidance it doesn't make much difference...

10. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Used to go, till I realiseed I was only going for the music (the old fashined type, doesn't seem to be much harmony singing in a lot of modern hymns, so not very good for choir singers).

Definite atheist now.

11. rutty

rutty Active Member

We played at out local Pentecostal Church last night, and they had comedy sketches, singing puppets and a "Who Want to be a Millionaire" spoof - if more churches were like that, making the Message interesting and less preachy - then more young people would go, I'm sure. I enjoyed it a lot, and I'm not a believer.

Top marks to them though. Good tucker too :)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    thread
    society
    people
    Christians
    God
  13. imthemaddude

Thats fantastic :D