Choosing Regional Test Pieces?

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Tug trombone, May 28, 2005.

1. Tug trombone

Tug trombone New Member

Can anybody tell me exactly how the test pieces are chosen for the Regionals?

I would like to know who chooses the works, and the processes involved. Also, does anyone know how to submit a work for consideration?

It would be interesting to know the same process in other major banding competitions.

2. gavinlindsay

gavinlindsay New Member

3. Tug trombone

Tug trombone New Member

Yeah! Does feel like that.

Seriously, there must be some structure to it!?!?
  4. persins

persins Member

I think that a load of supposedly experienced, respected and knowledgeable individuals all sit round in a room with the various regional committee representatives and all have a massive fight about it for hours. Then one of them suggests going to the pub and so they jut pick the last one mentioned and call it a day!

Might or might not be true!!!
  5. persins

persins Member

Seriously, I have heard that there is a selection committee that has representatives from all kinds of interested parties;

Regional committees, adjudicators, regulatory bodies, sponsors etc but I don't know much more than that.
  6. Does anyone know when next years regionals are announced?
  7. HBB

HBB Active Member

At the National Finals!
  8. Tug trombone

Tug trombone New Member

It's nice to see (courtesy of 4Bars, etc) that some new works/commissions have been chosen for various contests.... but how were these pieces/composers chosen?

Everyone says we need to encourage new talent in the band movement, composers included. How frustrating to not have a clearly defined path where works can be submitted for consideration.

I suspect it's the usual story - it's who you know!

Ideas anyone?
  9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I suspect that the actual committee individually looks and listens to as much material they can find and put their choices forward to the team. Then, the pieces are whittled down until one is agreed for each section. Back-ups may be selected if security is breached at an early stage.