choosing a new dog?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by imthemaddude, Feb 10, 2007.

1. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

I'm looking to get a dog from a dog's home to keep us company. Has anyone ever had a dog from a dog's home or can give me some advice?
  2. Di

Di Active Member

You'll not be too far from the RSPSA on Scudamore Road. Pop over there and have a looksee.
  3. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Do it! Rescue dogs love you more! We've had gorgeous beautiful Milo for 4 whole years this week! (Yes I did get him for my birthday!)

You will truly know if a dog is for you.... there were about 20 gorgeous, fluffy tiny collie pups when we were looking for a dog.... and then Milo and another crossbreed pup.... I fell in love with Milo straight away and knew he was ours!

Milo came from Dogs trust, and they are really brilliant, the dog will have a micro chip... and if you choose a pup (I think its actually easier to choose a pup.... a lot of older rescue dogs have serious problems which can be quite hard to deal with, Milo's bad enough!) you'll have a voucher towards its neutering.... we had £50 and thought it was going to be a lot more, but that covered it.

They will come out and house check you, to make sure you have a safe garden etc. so don't go thinking you'll be able to take a pup home the same day! It took my dad lots of hours and lots of money to erect a good fence for Milo!

I didn't go when mum and dad picked Milo up as I was at college, but I think they give a talk about dog care and stuff.

You have to give a donation, I think it was about £150 when we had milo.... I might be wrong though.

If you have any particular questions, feel free to PM or MSN me Lynda :D

Good Luck and have fun!

4. daveredhead

daveredhead Member

choosing a new dog

hello linda, i have 3 dogs from rescue centers and am looking for a 4th, 1st King Charles 12yrs, 2nd another KingCharles(Best dog i have ever owned) 3rd a cairn terrier, who would fight anything on 4 legs, but a really faithfull dog and all brill with children Go for it
  5. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

I find they all taste the same on nan bread with a bit of salad and hot sauce??
  6. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

King Charles' - spot on comments Dave, they are super dogs.
  7. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

think what sort of dog you want. Do you want something with loads of energy that needs loads of exercise or do you want something smaller with less energy? Will the dog be left on it's own during the day while you're at school? Something highly energetic and intelligent like a labrador or border collie could get bored if left for long periods and wreck your house. Talk to the staff before you even look at any dogs and possibly fall in love with something that's completely unsuitable. The staff know the dogs and will be able to steer you in the right direction.

But as has been said already when you find the right dog you tend to know.
    When I got Cassie from the rescue kennels they showed me her and a male puppy. I always thought I liked really playful energetic dogs. The black lab puppy they showed me was exactly what I described I wanted, 8 weeks old,happy , playful but I looked at him and thought cute. No other particular feelings. Then this 5 month old cross collie female was brought out. Nothing outstanding about her looks, quiet, shy, timid. I bent down and she came straight across, cuddled into me (something I have never seen her to to any stranger since) and looked . I couldn't resist. She came home with me and I've never regretted it. I have the most beautiful natured obedient dog. (well you've met her so you know). She's an old lady now but she has been a star to me all her life. When I left my first husband I let him have the house, the furniture everything on condition I got Cassie and she's repaid me for that over and over again with her love and companionship. She's never changed from that quiet timid dog but I wouldn't swap her for anything.

The thing is I can honestly say I never chose her, she chose me and I have been so privileged that she did.
  8. Andy Cooper

Andy Cooper Member

Rescue Dog - go for it.
    We have two Border Collies, Jess who is 7 we got 3 years ago after our previous dog Jed passed away. We got her from a border collie rescue centre near Rochdale, and was the third dog we had tried from them, the fist being a bit to manic for us and the second not really endearing himself to us, but jess just walked into the house, nuzzled up to us as though she belonged here. then the clincher, the woman from the rescue centre said could we foster her for a few days as they were full and there was a chance she would be put down if she had to go back to the kennels the police had taken her to when hey found her - her previous owners didnt want her back.

We have been rewarded with the most loving dog you could wish for, shes an absolute gem apart from waking me up at 0730 this morning for her walk.
    Floyd the younger is two but we have had him from a pup - Jess mothers him but hes still a little b*gg*r!!

In direct comparison, the rescue dogs can be a little harder to sort their little "problems" out particularly if they have been ill treated but th reward is so much more.
  9. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

My daughter rescued a terrier from being dumped in a sack in Port Talbot docks about 20 years ago....apparently he was the runt of a litter. She brought him home and I decided to keep him. Turned out to be one of the best friends I have ever had....I had to put him down after 15 years and I still miss him. Terriers and of course border collies simply the best. :clap:
  10. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

This is slightly off topic but does anyone know anything about Horners Syndrome in dogs. My black lab who is 7 has developed this, it causes her eye to droop and can be caused by a virus to a brain tumour...praying like mad for a virus.....I have only had her for three months as I inherited her from my sister when she moved to Oz and she is so loving I would hate for anything to happen.....any suggestions or info will be greatly appreciated
  11. barrytone

barrytone Member

Sorry, can't help with the Horner's syndrome, but try a new site I've just discovered called, it's run by the Dogs Trust. It's essentially a forum for owners to discuss all things doggy and offer advice to other owners. There's lots of breeders registered so I am certain someone would be able to help you.

Apologies for going off topic, just wanted to lend a bit of moral support to a fellow dog lover.

Get a rescue dog, as the slogan says "Rescue Dogs Love you more". Between me and my sister we've had five. Got four between us at the moment; a GSD, hovawart, terrier and Murphy - a cross between a labrador and a rottweiler. Three Dogs Trust dogs and an RSPCA rescue dog.

Can't praise Dogs Trust highly enough, knew everything about my dogs before I got them. Wouldn't discount an older dog purely on age, some have already been trained and most don't need large amounts of exercise. My GSD was five when I rehomed him as was the hovawart, had more problems with the Murphy who was nine weeks.

Check out for your nearest rehoming centre. Think it will probably be in Kenilworth but have a look round the site and check it out. Happy doggy hunting!
  12. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

You can have mine Lynda.You love em every time you come round.(Only joking)I have a yorkie cross who thinks he's a rottweiler and a lurcher cross who is as soft as muck.Both are from animal shelters.Lovely dogs and are great company.
  13. Sally (collie cross - my avatar) was chosen by us 15 years ago from Wood Green Animal Shelter. She was dumped on the motorway at the age of 3 months & for the next 15 years thanked us every day for rescuing her. She was a wonderful companion who passed away just before Christmas (typical of her - died in the reception area of the Vet's surgery, always did things her way!). We miss her dreadfully & whilst I hope to get another dog sometime, my husband is not so sure that we can replace her.
  14. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

If you can find one get a greyhound or a whipett they are loving dogs and don't take as much exercise as you would think (20 mins a day and then they will sleep the rest of the day)