'Choke' Chains, Yay or Nay??

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by meandmycornet, Apr 29, 2005.

1. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

What do think of the supposed 'choke' chains for dogs??

My dad brought one home for my dog today, I was like "no i'm not even going to put that on him, let alone use it".

But I eventually gave in and let my dad show me what there like, the results were amazing milo just walked :tongue: he didn't pull or drag! I'm definately going to use the chain collar (preferred name as it sounds less menacing :tongue: ) again!

So far it seem to be much better than the 'halti' head collar, which although lessens the pulling irrates the hell out of milo and rubs in his eye a bit.

anybody else use a chain collar for their dog?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Nay
    choke' chains
    name
    dog
    anybody
  3. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

We use a choke chain for our dog - very necessary as she's a bit crazy!! They're very effective!

We don't use it that often though, because taking the dog for a walk usually means taking her to the beach/woods/a big field and letting her run wild for an hour or so!!

4. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

halti's work well on our dogs- well i use them, and my gran does when she walks them- weaklings!

mum and dad have to use a shoulder/reign type thing on my labrador tho- her neck is the same size as her head, so her collar comes off when ever shes doesnt want to go a certain way - it happens often!!

5. meandmycornet

The change is amazing! at the start of the walk he was all gaspy like when you put a pup on a lead for the first time but by the end he was totally calm with a tail that wagging so much it looked like it was gonna fly off! He got a biscuit when he got home for being such a good boy :tongue:

6. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

We use a Halti on our dog, and he resopnds to it really well, doesn;t bother him at all now and walks like a perfect gentleman!

We have also used a check chain, which is half way between a choke chain and normal collar...
    [​IMG]
    ... Which is not quite as harsh as a choke chain. But it wa no where near as effective as the Halti!

7. meandmycornet

i just thought of another problem with the halti, people ALWAYS think milo has a muzzle on and is therefore viscious, neither of which are true :( the chain collar so far (touch wood) is the best collar we've had to date!! :D

8. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Are you sure this is for the dog...??

9. Jamie

Jamie Member

We had to get a choke chain for the dog; he used to walk us, to we needed to do something!

Strangely, as soon as you took the lead off him, he'd walk by your side anyway... think all the pulling was a protest against us not trusting him enough to walk nicely!!

Sadly, he's in the big doggy place in the sky now... :cry:

10. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I am SOOOO against them!!!

My mom is a professional dog behaviourist (and I used to train animals at the zoo), and I, personally, think that with animals negative reinforcement (or punishment) is not the way to go!!

11. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Check chains, (not choke chains) are by far the best way to teach dogs to behave properly. But make sure you use large link chains, as this does not trap the dogs' hair. I've used them with all my dogs over the years (including Police dogs) and have always been complemented on how well they are trained. With my present dog, I can't remember the last time I put her on a lead, as she walks to heel so well on command after her early training with a check chain.

My pet hate (pet hate, geddit?) are those people that walk their dogs on those stupid extending leads and have no control over the dog whatsoever!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Nay
    choke' chains
    name
    dog
    anybody
  13. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I have mixed feelings about choke chains.
    I don't use one on my bearded collie (although she's a little begger on the lead). But a choke chain probably saved her life a week ago today. Took her a walk and she was attacked by one of those Bull Terriers (You know the ones - penis extensions for sad gits). Luckily my dog was so scared she didn't fight back, but the Bull terrier had clamped onto her inner thigh/groin area and would not let go despite the owner and myself trying evertyhing (biting its ears, blocking its nose, squeezing its privates :eek: ). I had to throttle it with its choke chain using every bit of strength I could muster - those dogs have really muscular necks and when they have that blood lust they just will not let go. After 2 or 3 minutes of frantic struggle the devil dog seemed to go limp and let go. I had to flee leaving the owner sitting on the animal which had made an immediate recovery and was ready for round 2.

My 3rd valve finger has not yet recovered from the trauma of pulling on the choke chain. A whole week has gone by and the top third is still completely numb.
    My dog was quite lucky.Because she stayed still there was no ripping. She's got some wicked scabs, lumps and bruises though. Also I'm £40 out of pocket for vetinary pain killing and anti-biotic injections.

So although I don't like choke chains on nice dogs, pit bulls, bull terriers etc should be forced to wear them - tightened until they can't breath at all. And when they've drawn their last breath we should put them on their owners and choke them B*&t@rds too.

14. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

We used one for our first dog... but we use a Holti for our 2nd dog now... and I personally think it is much better.

15. cornetshell

cornetshell Member

We use [well did till a week ago when she was put down...she was very old and ill] a chain, we didnt on our old dog as we'd trined her from a pup- but we Had rosie from a rescue centre- and we tried many times to walk her without- but she was too strong and always ended up dragging you about.....even though she was uposed to be an 8 year old Collie cross lab!! ..... crazy dog!! but it did work- and she never really fought against it after the first few walks :rolleyes:

16. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

Yea I don't think the Halti's harsh at all, if it's used in the right way. Any collar has the potential to hurt a dog if it's used in the wrong way.

I agree with meandmycornet... people always think our dog is viscious 'cos he's got a 'muzzle' on and he's straining towards them. They don't realise all he wants to do is say hello and wipe his slobbery chops all over their leg.

17. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

I agree - specially with ten year-olds. I think choke chains should only be used on BBb basses - I know I've got one!!!! (with a serious pedal habit - imagine it - I can feel a bottom F coming on - woah boy - yank- that sorted it :)

And on a serious note - negative reinforcement just causes negative behaviour - with ten-year-olds at least - positive and assertive discipline is the only way to go.

18. meandmycornet

day two of the chain collar training and milo has taken to his new collar like a duck to water! he comes to you and lets you put it on, he hated having the halti on! And automatically walks like a good boy, no pulling whatsoever! therefore the chain doesn't hurt him (not that it ever has!) and its probably more comfortable than a normally collar because when milo is good it lies loose around his neck. I think its amazing how big a change there has been in Milo literally over night!

19. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

I use the choke on Xena, but not to full effect. Xena's "necklace" (because she is such an elegant lady dog) hangs very loose on her. Come walkies, she leads herself around with just enough tension. She knows how much it could hurt too, should she react to something badly.

20. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I hate choke chains. Our dog started on one of those half-choke things, and then we got him a halti. The halti works far better, and doesn't hurt anywhere near as much when called into action. I'm not bothered if a few ignorant souls think he's got a muzzle on, if anyone asks I explain it to them, and he's so incredibly friendly, no one is confused for long. Choke chains are the equivalent of putting a noose around a child's neck instead of a harness around their torso, in my opinion.

21. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

have we been studying skinners work on opperational conditioning? :) i should be revising it right now..........but im on here :confused: