Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Elwood, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Elwood

Elwood New Member

I would appreciate some advice from those of you who are knowledgeable about instruments, in particular Tenor Horns.

I am looking at three Tenor Horns: a Geneva Symphony circa 2013; a B&H Sovereign round stamp circa late 1970s and a York Preference circa 2005. All three are in excellent condition – the Sovereign having been fully refurbished and replated very recently.

All three are within my budget and all seem very desirable, but I am unsure as to which one to go for. I am not able to try any of them before I buy.

I’m a very average player sitting in the 1st Horn chair mainly, but depping for the Solo Horn when absent. I have no ambition to be a super-duper player and am happy playing what I play to the best of my ability and also appreciate that it is worthwhile getting the best instrument that can be afforded.

I am drawn to the B&H Sovereign as it has been fully refurbished and is a round stamp. This make of instrument seems to be highly regarded and somewhat revered by many players. But it is 40 years old.

The Geneva Symphony is being sold as an “as new” ex demo and is only 2 years old, but I’m wondering if this would be wasted on me with my average ability.

The York I know nothing about except that the company no longer exists.

I know that choosing an instrument is quite subjective, but having opinions from other, experienced players would be very helpful in making a decision
  2. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

I am not a tenor horn player, so cannot comment on the instruments but of those three I would only be thinking about the Sovereign.
    York made wonderful instruments but finding spare parts can now be very problematic due to the company no longer existing.
    I have seen some truly appallingly made instruments from Geneva (being sold as top-end professional models), I wouldn't ever contemplate one of theirs, regardless of which players/bands might be using them.
    The sovereigns are the standard for a reason.
  3. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

As a horn player, I would agree with trumpetmike. I have not played a York but some very good players who played York's went back to Sovereigns (or Prestige's).
    I have blown the Geneva and found it uncomfortable in all respects i.e. balance and sound. I played a band Prestige for a couple of years until leaving City of Cardiff and liked the instrument although the valves took a lot of maintenance. I have now gone back to my refurbished round stamp sovereign and love it!!
  4. GordonH

GordonH Member

I am not a tenor horn player, but I did try the Geneva cornet. My feeling was that it felt very good indeed. Too good. I was left with the impression it had been designed to give a good honeymoon experience, but might be different as a long term instrument.
  5. Elwood

Elwood New Member

Thank you, fellas, for your valued opinions. The Sovereign had already gone, when I contacted the seller and I have decided against the other two Horns. Thanks again.
  6. Euphman2

Euphman2 Member

Pity about the round stamp. I have played horn in the past and would have gone for that one. I once trialled a very early Courtois euph and likened it to three welded baked bean tins. Yamaha horns I have found hard to tune up with other makes of horn. Just some observations for consideration.
  7. jennyt125

jennyt125 Member

Whilst it is nice to have the opinions of others they are just that. Best to actually try the instruments for yourself and form your own opinions. So many people have come to me wanting to purchase a particular instrument following what has been said to them and after trial gone away with something completely different.