Chocolate Myth?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by OneTonBass, Mar 16, 2007.

1. OneTonBass

OneTonBass Member

I've been informed that its common practice in some regions to eat chocolate prior to going on stage to ensure that your mouth doesn't go dry and help give you extra energy/concentration levels.

Is this true?

Any particular brands recommended?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Chocolate Myth
    extra energy
    regions
    particular brands
    common practice
  3. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

That's really weird because our principal cornet player cam to me after warm up last Saturday and asked if I had any chocolate. I assumed he was hypoglycemic but perhaps I was wrong. Unfortunately I was unable to help him as the chances of any of our bass section having chocolate to spare would be akin to a snowball in hell. :)

4. McChambo

McChambo Member

Maybe he just thought you were Willy Wonka. I'm sure I've heard him call you that before................ ;)

5. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

I suppose it can give you a sugar burst , some people eat bananas which
    1. give slow release of sugar in bloodstream
    2. release potassium which has a calming effect
    Don't know if these are true or have any medical effect or have been proven , still if it helps do it..
    Dr Nick*

* not an md or proper dr

6. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

There are a few advantages....the first is the fast release of glucose which is fairly obviously related to energy levels. The second is related to seratonin levels - a neurotransmitter - an increase of which causes a feeling of well being and decreases anxiety (amongst other things).

In terms of mouth dryness, this will happen with anything other than water - the body's natural response to the expectation of food is to salivate....it's a Pavlovian thing ;)

7. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

.....So we just need to get the percussion section to ring bells all through the piece ???

8. KMJ Recordings

Absolutely :p

9. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

hey, any excuse to eat chocolate is a good one - contest or no contest!!!

;)

10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

. . . so we need some meringue and cream, then :oops:

11. Easy Slider

Easy Slider New Member

A good friend, and well repected professional trombone player once told me never to drink water to moisten the mouth. He suggested scraping the teeth along the tongue to stimulate salivation - a far superior lubrication to water. Water simply washes this away!!!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Chocolate Myth
    extra energy
    regions
    particular brands
    common practice
  13. That's really interesting. I always drink water to moisten my mouth but must say i don't think it works too well for me. Do you
    ??

14. Easy Slider

Easy Slider New Member

I must admit, I have only done it once prior to playing a solo, and in the absence of chewing gum, it was my ownly option. It is not something I spend a lot of time doing I must admit, dry-mouthedness is not a complaint I usually suffer from! Chewing gum would be my mouth-moistener of choice.

15. Hmm, that really would scare me. Playing a large bore euph, i'd be scared it'd go down the instrument plus i might swallow it... I don't trust myself with chewing gum! Might try the chocolate one though... Good excuse to eat chocolate too... Not sure though, getting sticky finding and lips doesn't help my playing...

16. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

If you had a dry mouth and then ate chocolate wouldn't it just go all sticky in your mouth and ewwww? It would for me.... but I'm odd and don't eat chocolate.... I haven't since new years' eve.... and I don't miss it :D I'd just drink a bit of water if I had a dry mouth... water's wet! :tongue:

17. Easy Slider

Easy Slider New Member

I don't chew and play at the same time - would advise removing gum before engaging the mouthpiece!

18. Ahhh. Reading through some discussions on here, it seems lots play with chewing gum in their mouth! I think they put it behind their teeth or side of their mouth when they place. But even still... :s

19. KMJ Recordings

Put a bit of lemon juice in the water - the citric acid is enough to trigger the salivation ;)

20. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Don't know if this has been said but presumably dry mouth is down to nerves? I know that's what happens to me on contest stage. I took a bottle of water on stage at Areas and can't remember drinking any water at all. Must be some sort of psychology thing as my mouth was not dry at all.

As for chocolate theory, I would need extra time to eat a Kilogram slab of whole nut before going on stage!

21. Lemon juice: as in directly from a lemon or lemon squash? I think that would make my lips sticky and therefore stick to my mouthpiece...

22. KMJ Recordings

real lemon juice. you don't need much, and it shouldn't be sticky ;)