Chinese Takeaway Menus

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Chunky, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

In a quiet moment at rehearsal last night myself and one of our Eb bass players were discussing Chinese Takeaway Menus.

We both knew of the numbers our favourite order combination from our local Chinese take aways.

However we both agreed the panic that is caused when drunk in a strange Chinese and not being able to talk properly, ordering your usual numbers and being left with a random meal that you would not normally choose to eat.

Therefore we feel a uniform menu that ALL takeaways conform to would be the way forward.

We did discuss the fact that not all takeaways do the same food, but every item would have to be classiified and a takeaway if it did not do a item would just have to state that your choice was not available there.

The idea is in its infancy but how useful would it be if all you had to do is just give a list of numbers no matter where you are in the world and how drunk and incapable of speaking you are.

This ramble is no way a reflection of the content of our rehearsal last night or the ability of the conductor who was superb last night :wink:
  2. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Good idea - I love valuable discussions like that, they kind of make you wonder what you usually talk about when you don't have a conversation stimulus as good as chinese takeaway menus!
  3. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Thanks Caroline, I kind of thought you would be in support of this. Of course Chinese takeaways on Whit Fridays would have to have a special number for lager drinking flugel players who cannot be bothered to wait in pubs :lol:
  4. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I didn't have Chinese on Whit fridays...I remember having a pie in a pub and the a pizza in the hotel. I had a beer in the Chinese - that was Elin's genius idea!
  5. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

Its good to see that the bass playing fraternity are still discussing things at the cutting edge of society. Long May It Continue.

And i feel so proud knowing my big sis is leading the way :clap: (sniff sniff sob sob oh the pride)
  6. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Nah, I think all the numbers/meals should be makes ordering your meal that little bit more exciting!!

Just a thought tho...have you ever noticed that when you're ordering and you ask for your dish by it's name, the person serving you always replies with the corresponding number...and if you ask for it by numbers they say the name of the dish instead?!?!? What's that all about then??
    They never say what you've actually said until they're re-capping it all at the end of the order.

Prawn toast,
    Spare ribs in ok sauce
    Special Fried Rice
    Fried sliced beef in ok sauce
    bean sprouts or soft noodles....

Heaven in a tin carton. :tongue:
  7. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

My local Chinese doesn't use numbers at all. I feel cheated now :(
  8. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Hey little sis long time no see! Glad to know you have not forgotten the family!

I like the cutting edge bit too, with you and me its usually a half cut edge!
  9. vonny

vonny Member

Hey chunks - I'm not struck on chinese food, well i mean i prefer indian, so i guess if you wanted a chinese and i wanted an indian i could go my way, and you could go yours :biggrin:

I see your point though, all those numbers and that...

Yvonne x
  10. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

I would never forget the family you should know that.

Best Wishes Lord Cunkinton Smythe Farquar Hufford.
    Chutney Onward!!
  11. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Chinese Chutney forever! About time those boys had an update :wink:
  12. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

I am sure I could attend to all your catering needs :biggrin: AGAIN!!! :wink: Thought you prefered Mexican Pizzas!
  13. vonny

vonny Member

NO i didn't like that mexian pizza, i wanted cheese and tomato, but i gave in to your advances :biggrin:
    Yes you did take care of me and thank you! I told you i was a cutie :biggrin:
  14. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Made me blush now! You are defo a cutie!
  15. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

They are getting a new home very soon. and if the rumours are true a visit to the Whit Friday Marches.

TIMBONE Active Member

I went for a Chinese for someone's 21st some years ago, and we all got food poisoning - put me off a bit. By the way, the restaurant was called the "Man Fang".

17. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Oh no! Not whit Fridays, I still have nightmares about the 1953 Pickled Egg Incident!