Children in need!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Just Crazy, Nov 19, 2005.

1. Just Crazy

Just Crazy Member

When i was younger, the build up to children in need was great. I used to look forward to sitting down at 7pm and trying to stay up all night to watch the coverage of it on tv. These days it seems to pass without some people noticing.

What did you do to raise money for children in need?
  2. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

School had a non uniform day which you pay for and people get sponsered to do stuff. And if we want to dress our form tutor up we have to raise £20 and we have a show at lunchtime were the teachers and boys from the boys school do dances/singing and stuff. Its mainly the men dressing up in skirts, its disturbing how many male teachers can walk in high heels at our school... :rolleyes:
    We dont know how much we raised yet probably find out tomorow.
  3. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

My college group all dressed up as what we wanted too be when we little/pirates :tongue: the social and community studies department theme was pirates so they're were lots of pirates everywhere! and we had a big treasure map game and a lucky treasure box and pudsey biscuits :tongue: they're were loads of different types of pudsey biscuits so i had to try one of each!

College always raises about a £1000 + for Children in Need and Comic Relief!

The primary school that one of my friends kids go too did absolutely nothing for children in need :( not even non uniform, i think thats pretty bad really :(
  4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

.... :eek: .... maybe they were just dressing down to their normal gear? (... I found yonhee's quote quite funny!)
  5. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Probably :p
    One of them seemed to like his pink top cause he kept it on all day. We had a fire alarm that afternoon aswell, the firemen probably think our schools a bit er odd.
  6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... any of them wearing make-up as well?
  7. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Oh hell yeah! I think most of them took it off after lunch, tinkerbell didnt though. Really tall tech teacher with a beard dressed up as tinkerbell with lipstick and blusher standing in a park trying to look normal for the firemen :D
  8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- Tinkerbell? Sounds strange or weird to me! Wonder if Mike knows teachers like him in his school? (... and has Mike been given a nickname by his pupils?)
  9. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Hehe this is when we find out he dressed up as a nurse for children in need :D Unless hes like our music teachers and doesnt dress up. Nah I think tinkerbell was quite normal compared to some...
  10. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Must be a thing about Children in Need, we had a fire alarm aswell....... because (and this is the truth!) somebody burnt the pudsey biscuits! :tongue: so we all had to go out dressed as pirates and stand in the cold :(
  11. postie

postie Member

Not strictly this year but last year we had a concert in aid of Children in Need and raised a fair amount in the evening - it would good to see the stories and case studies they had on tv last Friday night - we could see where our monies went.
  12. Magic Flute

Magic Flute Supporting Member

We had a staff 'bleep test', with pupils paying to watch! Quite funny as none of us knew what we had to do - and we could hardly hear above the noise anyway! Exhausted for the rest of the day though!
  13. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I only donated cash this year, but a couple of years ago I paid for the priviledge of coming in to work in a maternity dress because it was a CiN dress down day.

Wish I'd had a camera when I walked in the newsagent in the morning to get my paper...the looks on peoples faces were just priceless. :biggrin:
  14. Di

Di Active Member

We didn't seem to do as much at work this year as we have in the past. We're supposed to be "too busy to have fun". Spoilsports. Still, we had a dress down day, which we have to pay for, had a raffle for a Pudsey Bear, some of made home made cakes and took them in to sell. I made slabs of gooey bread pudding. Then I resorted to going through the bins outside. :eek: One the shops below us is a flower/grocery shop. They'd just had a delivery of flowers and thrown out all their left overs! After asking if we could, we raided what looked presentable still and took them upstairs. We sold them off for 50p a bunch or 3 for £1 which netted an extra £8.50. And my flowers are still blooming lovely. :) Not much you say, but it all adds up when you put it in with the rest, and I sent a little note to the shop telling them what we'd done.
  15. Bungle

Bungle Member

Our band did a concert on Saturday "Pudsey goes to Hollywood" with a program of film music, also had a local school choir which brought in extra punters. Raised about £500.
  16. six pints

six pints Active Member

slightly off topic....but

im going to drink an 18 month out of date bottle of diet coke for duck (durham uni charity Komitee) on the proviso that i raise at least 100 quid for doing it! should be fun!
  17. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I'd say it's been nice knowing you...but I don't know you.

Good luck with that one anyway...lets hope they don't need the £100 for the stomach pump! :biggrin:
  18. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

My wife and I went to Peru this summer to help build a Day Care Centre. We also carried an extra suitcase each crammed full of supplies for the kids, ranging from essentials such as clothing and vitamin pills, to toys and games.

We paid to go and also received donations of cash and supplies.

I also heard obout a building contractor who paid for a construction team to go; he paid all their expenses, paid for tools and building materials, including their regular wages while they worked on the project for two weeks.

We saw a video on Saturday showing the opening of the Centre in October and it was something else to see the kids in the buildings we have helped construct. Hoping to go again next summer to build for more kids.
  19. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

my college (and the school its attatched to) had a non uniform day... however in the 6th form, we dont have a uniform... so it was fancy dress for us. there were a number of things going on in the school.. people were sponsored to come into school in their pyjamas, the library would donate something like £50 with 50p being knocked off every time someone spoke in the library (our school library is never ever silent at all), the IT teachers let people play games on the computers during break and lunch if they paid £1 or summat. and people went around with buckets collecting. no idea how much was raised, ill probably have an email at college telling me.