Childhood- have a break from you Adult Life!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Mrs Womble, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Mrs Womble

Mrs Womble Member

Go back in time...

Before the Internet or the Apple Mac.

Before semi-automatics, joy riders and crack....

Before SEGA or Super Nintendo...

Way way back........

I'm talking about Hide and Seek in the park.The corner shop.Hopscotch.Butterscotch.
    Skipping.Handstands.Football with an old can.Fingerbob.Beano, Dandy, Buster, Twinkle and Dennis the menace.Jam Roly Poly.Hula Hoops.The smell of the sun and fresh cut grass.Bazooka Joe bubble gum.

An ice cream cone on a warm summer's night from the van that plays a tune - Chocolate or vanilla or strawberry or maybe Neapolitan or perhaps a screwball

Watching Saturday morning cartoons....short commercials, The Double
    Deckers, Road Runner, He-Man, Zeebedee Tiswas or Swapshop?, and 'Why
    Don't You'? Or staying up for Doctor Who.

When around the corner seemed far away and going into town seemed like going somewhere.

Earwigs, wasps, stinging nettles and bee stings.Sticky fingers. Cops and Robbers, Cowboys and Indians, and Zorro.Climbing trees.

Walking to school no matter what the weather.

Running till you were out of breath and getting a stitch, laughing so hard that your stomach hurt.

Jumping on the bed.Pillow fights. Spinning around, getting dizzy and falling down was
    cause for giggles.

Being tired from playing....remember that?

The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team.

Water balloons were the ultimate weapon

playing cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a motorcycle.

Choppers and Grifters

I'm not finished just yet....
    Eating raw jelly. Orange squash ice pops.

Remember when...

There were two types of trainers - girls and boys, and Dunlop Green
    Flash - and the only time you wore them at school was for P.E.

You knew everyone in your street - and so did your parents.

It wasn't odd to have two or three "best" friends.

You didn't sleep a wink on Christmas Eve.

When nobody owned a pure-bred dog.

When 25p was decent pocket money

When you'd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny.

When nearly everyone's mum was at home when the kids got there.

When it was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner at
    a real restaurant with your parents.

When any parent could discipline any kid, or feed him or use him to
    carry groceries and nobody, not even the kid, thought a thing of it.

When being sent to the head's office was nothing compared to the fate
    that awaited a misbehaving student at home...

Basically, we were in fear for our lives but it wasn't because of
    drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs etc. Parents and grandparents were a
    much bigger threat! - And some of us are still afraid of them!!

Remember when....

Decisions were made by going "Ip Dip Dog Sh*t"

"Race issue" meant arguing about who ran the fastest.

Money issues were handled by whoever was the banker in "Monopoly".

The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was germs. And the worst thing in your day was having to sit next to one.

It was unbelievable that 'British Bulldog 123' wasn't an Olympic event.

Having a weapon in school meant being caught with a catapult.

Nobody was prettier than Mum.

Scrapes and bruises were kissed and made better.

Taking drugs meant orange-flavoured chewable aspirin.

Ice cream was considered a basic food group.

Getting a foot of snow was a dream come true.

Older siblings were the worst tormentors, but also the fiercest protectors.
    If you can remember most or all of these, then you have LIVED.

oh and forgot to add - remember when you used to say"I DOUBLE-DARE YOU!!"
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Anyone else remember buying a block of ice ream from the corner shop and putting it by the air brick in the larder, wrapped in newspaper, so it would stay frozen while you had your tea?

What about going to the cinema to see those cartoons and serials on a Saturday morning?

They weren't even trainers, they were "plimsolls"!

or "one potato, two potato, three potato, four . . . "

Last edited: Jul 26, 2006
  3. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

How old??????? :eek: :tongue: :biggrin:

The fridge I use on a daily basis is over 35 years old and even that has a freezer compartment! :tongue:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2006
  4. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

Ah yes there's old and then there's Peter!!!:tongue:
  5. Di

Di Active Member

I remember going to the corner shop for ice cream. It came as a rectangle block, wrapped up, I think it was "cornish cream", and you could either have it between wafers or in a rectangle cone.

Dolls that didn't walk or talk, or cry or crawl.

Tea parties with you own miniature plastic tea set.

The little cloth wendy house in the garden.
  6. NeilW

NeilW Member

I remember the ice cream block being delivered and we had a (what I think was) early polystyrene box that fitted round it until it could be put in the freezer compartment of the (even when I was little!) old fridge (I think it dated from the 1930s - it certainly had had its motor changed to convert from DC in London to AC electricity!)

Pocket money came in £sd, not p!! (I think I got 1s per week - and a Walls Heart was 7 or 8d and a Mars bar was about 5d)

Can't find the words to the later one ("200 remembers"), but this is quite a good trip down memory lane:

(not as old as Peter, I don't think! :biggrin: )
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I remember when my family first got a phone installed and also our first colour telly. During those times there used to be queues at telephone boxes and really friendly neighbours who wanted to use our phone and watch telly in colour.
  8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

If I remember correctly - and yes, it is a long time ago :oops: - we only got a fridge when we had the extension built to the house in Windsor in about 1966.

We also had a solid fuel oven that also fired a couple of radiators, and one of my abiding memories as a child is of my father mistakenly putting the coke into the oven, rather than the other side where it should have gone!
  9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Another icon from the past is ... the radiogram! I think most homes had them during the '60s.
  10. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Well, I've said this before, but Peter is older than dirt. ;) Having said that, I do remember most of the things you've all been reminiscing about.

My second contribution to the house when I got my first proper job was to pay for my mum to have the phone in. (That was after fulfilling my first promise of giving her a real £50 note. Of course it was a meaningless (if grand) gesture but I thought it was worth it just for the look of wide-eyed wonder on her face because she'd never seen so much money in one place before. It was a promise I'd made her when I was very little because we were quite poor in money terms - I think my dad's wages were something like 10s/6d per week - and one day I promised her I'd give her a real £50 note, so I did.)

For many years we had a larder or pantry that had an air brick and I remember getting ice cream from the corner shop and bringing it home to put there while we had tea. It was very efficient. And no one worried about Salmonella or newsprint. Maybe because everything was more "honest"?
  11. annmck

annmck Member

Trainers !!! I think it was plimsols then.
    The first record I ever purchased was "Hey Jude" which cost 7s 6d and because I didn't have a record player but a radiogram (which was a massive piece of furniture) I only heard it at 78rpm for months. Very entertaining. Sounded like Pinky and Perky. Remember them? Also does anyone else remember "Jubblies" being really huge...........not the little things we get now.
    My first beefburger was at the Wimpy Bar in East Ham High Street and it cost 2s6d (12 1/2p) with french mustard from a little pot on the table. Luvvley Jubbly ! Tasted much nicer than the ones you get now.
  12. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

The "A" and "B" button in a telephone box
    Having a bath in the steel tub out in the back yard
    The "Lavender" man coming to empty the outside loo
    Village bus services that only ran one day a week
    The fish and chip van coming round every friday night
    ABC "Minors"
    Morris Minors!
    The Bubble Car - with or without the reverse gear
  13. Di

Di Active Member

Milk being delivered by horse and cart (and being allowed to feed the horse a slice of bread)
    The grocery van coming round the streets
  14. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

Nice one - this has brought back some good memories.

I also remember from primary school:

Piggy back fights
    Pile on's
    Blocky 123

Happy days :)
  15. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Welcome to Cornwall! ;)

We still have these, tho apparently they are called "bundles" now.........Had to give my class a telling off cos one kid had to go and get well and truely squashed at the bottom of one!

My childhood rememberances are Tamogotci's! :) They were amazing things! and i felt so special getting the last one in the entire asda store! Where have they gone?!!
  16. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

And not forgetting good old British Bulldog

We also used to do "King of the Ring" which was loosely based on the Wrestling as seen on ITV's World of Sport (none of your WWF thank you) and basically involved a mass brawl in the Home Economics class room!
  17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- oddly enough, my home town Co-op was the last one in the area that had horse and cart for delivering milk ... and anyone remember bottles of diluted orange juice for sale? There was many a time I had to chase after the butcher's van as well.

- my parents also had a mangle in the back garden to help with the washing.
  18. Di

Di Active Member

Golly, yes I remember those. And a top loading washing machine and the big wooden tongues used for picked up the clothes.
  19. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Me too! And I also remember my sister getting her sleeve caught in the mangle. I was turning it at the time. It was an accident, honest.

Does anyone remember the twin tub? Now there was a novel idea. ;)
  20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Yes, the days of the karties, bogies or whatever your local name for them were ... bits of wood nailed together with pramwheels and rope to steer with ... what memories!

- here's a deluxe version that never got built in my neighbourhood (these posh badgers get everything!)