chicken or egg

Discussion in 'Thread Games & Totally Random...' started by 1alexm, Feb 20, 2006.

which came first chicken or the egg

1. chicken

5 vote(s)
  2. egg

9 vote(s)
  1. 1alexm

1alexm Member

The legendary question: Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Why?
    :biggrin: :biggrin: :confused: :confused:
  2. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

the egg, because it was a wierd egg made by something else which for some reason was mutated (radiation?)...

or was it... ;)
  3. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

I don't really know, but a competent cook can make both taste delicious.
  4. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

The egg... dinosaurs predate chickens by a few million years, and reptiles lay eggs. If you mean chicken's eggs specifically, then I guess it depends exactly at what point in evolution it became what you would define as a chicken...
  5. Steve

Steve Active Member

To answer this accurately you have to define a chicken's egg.

There seem to be three possibilities I can find

1. A chicken's egg is an egg laid by a chicken
    2. A chicken's egg is an egg from which a chicken is born
    3. A chicken's egg is an egg laid by a chicken, out of which a chicken is born.

Only option 1 can be correct, because the eggs we eat (which definitely don't contain chickens!!), are called chicken's eggs. Also, if eggs were named after what they contained, we would also have cock's eggs.

Therefore, the description can only refer to the maker, not to the inhabitant of the egg.

Therefore the Chicken had to come first.
  6. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

I'm that half a sleep that I though the question was guna be.... what do you prefer in your sandwich? Chicken or Egg? :tongue:

Chicken please :)
  7. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Good post Steve! I had always thaught that the egg had to come first, but now you have convinced me of the opposite...

8. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I've said egg because you havent stated whether you mean the chicken egg or any egg so I've taken it as any egg that was made before chickens were chickens...

9. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I think there are two possible answers here depending on what exactly you are looking for.

First, organisms predate sexual reproduction and eggs. That means organisms must have been around before the first egg.

However, to answer your question (as Chris explained)...a chicken egg (if we are saying one that a chicken is born from) would have probably first been layed by a chicken-like ancestor...thus I put the egg before the chicken.
  10. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

I thought I agreed totally, from whichever angle you argued it....but then after thinking about a reply decided that perhaps I don't after all.............

>> 1. A chicken's egg is an egg laid by a chicken

Maybe so.....but the question specifically states "The chicken or the egg" not "The chicken or the chicken's egg" so this distinction does not apply. The egg came first, when fish first developed the idea, were copied by the amphibians and then had their idea modified by the addition of a membranous and variably calcified shell when reptiles came along, millions of years before the Red Jungle Fowl was domesticated.

>> 2. A chicken's egg is an egg from which a chicken is born

True, the first chicken hatched from an egg (laid by a semi-domesticated Red Jungle Fowl), therefore the egg came first. Genetically, the egg from which a chicken hatches is the same individual organism as the chicken itself, and so the two cannot be distinguished when asking the question "which came first" [but see below].

>> 3. A chicken's egg is an egg laid by a chicken, out of which a chicken is born.

This is not a separate possibility, merely a combination of (1) and (2) which becomes paradoxical when applied to the question posed, and so does not apply.

However, when followed further, you could, I guess, suggest that
    since the 'Egg' is taken to mean an ovoid structure with calcified shell containing membranes, albumen and yolk as well as the developing embryo,
    and since within the "mother" birds reproductive tract the fertilised embryo and yolk form BEFORE the albumen, membranes and shell are added,
    the organism which later developed into the first chicken actually existed before it became an egg, and so if we restrict the question to "the chicken or the chicken's egg", the chicken came first, and by a well defined time period of 18-22 hours !

Sorry.......may have got a bit carried away there.
  11. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

I think the egg was laid by a dinosaur and a chicken came out by accident.
  12. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Maybe just a bit :p

(but that's the fun in a question like this ;))

I would have thought you would've argued the chicken came from a lizard egg ;)
  13. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Brilliant post, Ron! :tup (no sarcasm intended)

I particularly enjoyed this part:

14. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Me thinks a rename of this man is needed...

Ronnie_the_expert on the genetic origins of the common fowl, descended from the Red Jungle Fowl Gallus bankiva, also called Gallus gallus.

Good answer by the way, very impressive.
  15. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

According to the Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary, chicken can be found on page 232 whereas Egg doesn't appear until page 398 ergo Chicken came first.
  16. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Why not just see which one lights the fag first? :rolleyes: :eek: