Chick Corea

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by weenie, Aug 31, 2007.

1. weenie

weenie Member

Never knew much about latin jazz composer Chick Corea until we played an arrangement of one of his pieces called 'La Fiesta' which is fantastic (but quite difficult) to play absolutely spot on. Anyone else listened to any of Mr. Corea's output?

If you wanna hear La Fiesta, copy and paste the link below. It's played by the Woody Herman Big Band and is as tight as a ducks you know what!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AHpvOwejAY&mode=related&search=

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Chick Corea
    latin jazz composer
    one
    La Fiesta
    Anyone
  3. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

One of my best memories of any live gig was Chick Corea Elektric Band II at Leeds. Never heard as tight a band live, especially considering the music. Check out "Beneath the Mask" from the original Elektric Band, and also the Acoustic Band stuff.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=28958

Hear hear, jolly good thread indeed chaps! I suggest you listen to the scource album "Forever" a classic.
    Brass bands can perform this type of stuff very convincingly, because there is no "walking" bass line which is is so difficult for tuba's to replicate.

5. ROBTHEDOG

ROBTHEDOG Member

6. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

I've got the Maynard Ferguson recording of it, which is about 8 mins long. I always thought that it would make a great 4/5 min piece for brass band if you removed the 'Maynardisms'. That recording pretty much proves me right. Who's arranged it for band?

7. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

the title is "Return to forever"....sorry about that folks!

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- their last three albums are monumental ... No Mystery, Romantic Warrior & Musicmagic! Of the Elektric Band series I still rate the first self titled album as a creative peak for Mr. Corea.

9. Texus

Texus Member

Yo folks, do yourselves a favour and get a copy of Chick Corea and Herbie Hancock live at Carnegie. A 25 minute version of "La Fiesta" on two grand pianos, and it is absolutely astonishing!

10. ROBTHEDOG

ROBTHEDOG Member

Thanks I'll get on amazon ASAP

Cheers

11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- it's worth it for the Bartok Ostinato work on it alone!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Chick Corea
    latin jazz composer
    one
    La Fiesta
    Anyone
  13. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

Hey Texus i have that album!! its great.