Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by TIMBONE, May 10, 2005.

TIMBONE Active Member

OK fellow tMPers, timbone is searching 'themouthpiecegreymatter' again, (it is OK 'mods', this is a musical question). Now this one will fascinate me, (becaue I have not yet worked out the average age of tMP). SO HERE GOES.

CHICAGO - an American city - a Musical - what else?

(Will the sec, don't spoil it, I know that you know!!!)
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

(...:rolleyes: ... wondering what this is leading to?) .... erm, Jazz and Blues (whilst deliberately keeping it general).
  3. kiwiposaune

kiwiposaune New Member

how about the rock band from the 70s / 80s, the home of one of the bands appearing at the alleged World Championships in July, the place the Gothenburg Brass Band is travelling to this autumn, home of the loudest orchestral brass section in the world, and - last but not least - home of the best pizza in the world (sort of musical - I used to eat a lot of pizza after gigs in Chicago).
  4. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

Chicago is also a song (My home town), and a "Sweet Home" (a la Blues Brothers)

You'll have the time, the time of your life
    Bring all your friends, your kids and your wife to
    Chicago, Chicago, my home town.

Coincidently, Chicago the band did a cover of this on their "Night and Day" album
  5. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Chicago a song made popular by Sinatra (Chicago...its my kinda town...that toddlin town...etc...)

Chicago - an old native american term for strong or great and an Algonquin term for onion field

Chicago - a variation of poker
  6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Chicago: The windy city - the windy city, it is mighty pretty, but it aint got what we got, no sirree!

TIMBONE Active Member

Well Peter, so you know Calamity Jane then :biggrin: It is not often I get the chance to correct PB :p so - "I just flew in from the windy city, the windy city is mighty pritty but it aint got what we' got, no siree! (I had to sit in a pit and conduct it for a week :mad: )

Back to the original topic. In the words of the great Spock, 'fascinating'.
    The reason I referred to 'age' is because I would be really interested to know if any of the younger element know which Chicago I am alluding to.

Some of the replies have.
  8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Funnily enough, the one I remember was called "Calamity Jane" but I shall bow to your greater familiarity with the spellings of the Wild West ;)

TIMBONE Active Member

What was that Peter? Isn't that what I said? (This edit facility is useful) :biggrin:
    Trust me to try and be clever :oops:
  10. Okiedokie of Oz

So my referencing of Sinatra and Blues Brothers doesn't date me already???

And I would have thought that everyone knew Chicago was a musical prior to being a movie.

I know its in Illinois (did I get that right???) and it's NOT the capital either, right????

Chicago Hope?? A teledrama.

Sorry, you've milked all the obvious response I think.....what are you chasing Tim?

TIMBONE Active Member

OK, I was just being inquisitive as to how many on this brass band forum have heard of one of the most musically adept and successful ensembles who were a "rock band with brass" (their own words). By the way, those of you who have only heard the Peter Cetera ballads, such as "If you leave me now", "Hard to say I'm sorry" etc., the band cannot be judged on these alone, they were just songs released as singles to give commercial success and bring in the dollars.

Incidentally, there is still a band called "Chicago", which still has three original members, the brass section. Unfortunately, the band has never been the same since the tragic death of their fantastic guitarist, Terry Kath, (who none other than Jimmi Hendrix said "he makes me feel like I need lessons").

Maybe they would have been more identifiable if they could have kept their original late sixties name, Chicago Transit Authority, unfortunately, they had to drop two words from this name, as they were threatened with legal action from - the Chicago Transit Authority!

Anyway, as a writer and publisher of music for brass band, I am sure that you can work out the reason for my enquiry, as the quote at the end of my signature says .....
  12. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I don't know if your experiment worked.

I happen to like the music of Chicago quite a bit (and to show you I am a true fan, I will tell you the old 25 or 6 to 4 is the only TRUE 25 or 6 to 4). How many times as I kid did I practise James Pankow's tag from the end of Saturday in the Park? Colour my World is about the only song I could actually ever play on piano!!

However, once somebody put them, I was less inclined to put that as well as I was looking for the answer you wanted, and figured it had to be something that hadn't been mentioned yet.
  13. Okiedokie of Oz

I think they have a remarkable spin on "In the Mood" on their Nighgt and Day album...
    my ex's best friend and her hubby (a trombonist) walked back up the aisle to this after their wedding.....a hint of what was to follow????