Chewing Gum whilst playing

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by glen miler, Mar 13, 2007.

1. glen miler

glen miler Member

I noticed a front row cornet player with Fodens appeared to be chewing gum during their performance on Sunday.

I've never seen this before, anyone else do it? Does it take practice?

2. timbloke

timbloke Member

I noticed someone in YBS, i think it was (could've been Sellers), doing the same thing, and I too was surprised. It has the advantage that it stimulates saliva and stops your mouth drying up.

As for how difficult, I remember trying it when I was younger (probably because I was too lazy to get rid of it) and finding it really difficult to focus on playing whilst trying not to breathe it in and swallow it. I remember a Bassoon player who would stick it on their crook when playing and then back in their gob when resting. eeeurgh! :eek:

3. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Doesn't Peter Roberts do it?

4. colin.moody

colin.moody New Member

I saw at least 3 Dyke players chewing away during the RNCM festival concert (including Mr Roberts).

5. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

it's not that hard really... you can just tuck it away into a corner of your mouth when playing.

I managed to play with a boiled sweet in my mouth last week - that was slightly more tricky. Can't imagine it did the trumpet much good either...

6. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

It could have been Raf Van Looveren then (playing with Sellers), because I know he does this almost always. Apparently it's to prevent his mouth from going dry. And indeed, you just tuck it away into a corner of your mouth when playing.

7. Lotta

Lotta Member

If it works for people far doo's but isn't this potentially dangerous??!!

What happens if you take a rapid breath in and if gets stuck in your throat??!!

My teacher used to go bonkers if he caught me with a bubbliscious in me gob!!

8. Saw the Dyke 150th Anniversary dvd, atleast 3 Dyke players were chewing gum on that whilst in their 1st half performance yet for the 2nd half none of them were. Im thinking along the same lines - must be to stop their mouths drying up whilst they were possibly nervous in the 1st half, but in the 2nd you tend to relax alot more anyway.

9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Either that, or else they'd finished it all in the first half ;)

10. Someone told me recently that one of the Child's used to eat a tomato before they played their euphonium. Apparently that had a similar effect, stimulating saliva. I would think having chewing gum in your mouth whilst playing would potentially cause more problems that it would solve. Surely keeping well hydrated and a bottle of water next to the stand is the best method...?

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Fodens
    Chewing Gum
    practice
    Does
    row cornet player
  12. MaxPressure

MaxPressure Member

I tried it once....... swallowing wasn't the problem, I was playing the sop part of Variations on a ninth, and just got to the variation where the sop comes in on ff top b......... chewing gum slipped, i got a nose bleed, nearly perforated both eardrums, and spent the next 15 minutes trying to remove the gum from the shank of my my mouthpiece.......
    drink water........ less painfull :redface:

13. gawber

gawber Active Member

My old man always chews gum when playing (solo cornet O.S.B.) and has done so for years. He can't remember why he started but says it was probably to keep his mouth moist. He tucks the gum between his teeth and cheek whilst playing and says it isn't a problem. I don't think he would be able to play without it now!

14. leisa

leisa Active Member

we did the tomatoe thing before the areas this year someone handed round a tub of tomatoes i only found out after that they were mouldy!! :mad: don't think it made a great deal of difference! Have tried the chewing gum thing but i cant do it..if it works though fair nuff!

15. rebecca

rebecca Member

Peter Roberts is renowned for his gum chewing! Personally i rather not chew on stage. I know it sounds daft but i eat loads of bananas and a mars bar before going on stage. It seems to have worked so far, I think.

16. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

Wow, being a Bass player this offers a whole new set of excuses.

17. leisa

leisa Active Member

a mars bar bex?? :biggrin:

18. A mars bars. Tut tut. Spelling and grammar darling! Mars bars though?! That is weird! I would have thought there are plenty of weird and wonderful methods for getting the saliva flowing in the mouth... Not sure how many are actually used by brass players though... family friendly forum and all that...

19. oldsop

oldsop New Member

I used to keep a piece of apple between teeth and cheek when playing to keep the mouth moist. Chewing an apple became a bit of a ritual before taking to the contest stage and it seemed to work.

20. MISS PITCH

MISS PITCH Member

this is a strange lot of answers here!!! apples?! wtf...

personally just being prepared with bottle of water will do! STRANGE PEOPLE...

but just for you guys i will try apples, lemon juices and chocolate (read other relenvent thread)

sounds fun!

F x

21. Bunnymonster

Bunnymonster Member

I know someone who swears by having a crushed-up polo in his pocket. When he dries up he just dabs his finger in it. Seems to work and looks much better than chewing gum on stage!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Fodens
    Chewing Gum
    practice
    Does
    row cornet player