Chewing gum helps stamina?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Matt Lawson, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

I was moping on the train on the way back from Scarborough today with my pack of Wrigleys contemplating whether or not chewing can help stamina in a brass player?

When I was chewing, I noticed when i chomped down, my cheeks were in the same position as when blowing through my cornet and thought that chewing could maybe help build those muscles up.

A) What do you all think?
    B) How many of you now think I'm crazy? :frown:

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Wrigleys
    B)
    Scarborough
    stamina
    position
  3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

All I know is that the principal cornet for Willeborek chews gum while he plays?

4. Richard_Brigg

Richard_Brigg Member

i can kind of see the principal... but chewing whilst playing is never good, knew a girl who had a nasty experience whilst chewing and playing!

Ohh well, its worth a try

5. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

At a black dyke concert about 2 years ago I noticed at least 4 players who were chewing whilst on stage and kept their gum in whilst playing

6. wewizrobbed

wewizrobbed Member

Oh my god, you never did!

7. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

*scratches head* :confused: are you talking to me?

8. Lothianh

Lothianh Member

Our principal cornet does sometimes as well! Doesn't seem to adversely affect her playing much though - she's currently the NABBA champion technical soloist!

I don't think I'd make a habit of chewing while playing, and I haven't a clue if chewing gum at other times has any effect on embouchere endurance.

-Lothian

9. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Peter Roberts looks like he's chewing gum in the dvds Ive got of YBS playing, or its maybe he's still got a bit of his dinner stuck between his teeth!! :rolleyes:

10. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

hmm the only players i know who chew gum do it to stop themselves smoking, or to hide the scent! still they don't seem lacking in stamina. maybe we should research this... unfortunately since we all chew our food it'd be a bit tricky getting a control subject ;)

lothianh, i keep meaning to mention how much your sig makes me laugh - thankyou!
    xx

11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Chewing gum also helps your mouth from drying up!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Wrigleys
    B)
    Scarborough
    stamina
    position
  13. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

so does water -_- or chewing the back of your tongue. and all without fear of blowing the icky stuff down your mouthpiece! :p
    xx

14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

More to the point, the action of chewing produces saliva which more-or-less answers why some players do this (... unless they need to do this because of nerves and possible distraction).

15. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Oooh what a good excuse to eat chewing gum! But I wouldnt chew it while playing partly because Id get killed and because it might get into my horn...

16. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Had this discussion with jean once and she basically said that if any of us try it, she'd kick us out! :eek: So maybe its best you dont

17. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

I seem to be doing well on ranting tonight, but then, i have had a whole week of no tmp!!

As far as i am concearned chewing gum is a foul invention and i cant stand it. if you want to be kelly's friend dont chew gum near me!

As for those who chew while they play......i dont think i should really say what i feel as it might not go down to well!!

Polo's are the way forward, sucking is always better than chewing :)

18. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

yes, yes it is. :tup
    xx

19. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

nice to see like minded euph players :)

20. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

Well... heres the fact of tonights rehearsal... :p

I was playing AWFUL in the first half.. then in chomped for a bit on some.. 'Extra - Cool Breeze' chewie and then in the 2nd half I was playing better...

bit of a random fact.. but .. hmm it as to do with chewing gum :rolleyes:

21. Di

Di Active Member

or maybe the exercise your jaw got with all the chattering in the interval?