Cheltenham 2013: post-contest photos

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by cockaigne, Oct 13, 2013.

1. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

The band I conduct has been contacted by the photographers who were taking the official photographs at Cheltenham last month, asking whether they should bother printing/sending proofs for us to order from - they seem to be concerned about low take-up. Has anyone else had similar communication from them?

Thanks

2. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

My band declined the kind offer they made on the day and walked past

3. ISBBBb2

ISBBBb2 Member

I hope we can still purchase them. We want to use them for this years christmas cards to send to the adjudicators! ;)

4. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Last years photos were of such poor quality - Black shadows from poor lighting and set up, individual shots with players instruments out of the frame, the name of the band spelt wrongly! We wouldn't bother with them again.

5. Fat_Bari

Fat_Bari Member

I personally did not get involved in the individual photographs as previous experience had taught me that the delay was not worth the missing drink time, but the photographs have now arrived in our band hall.

6. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

The same firm were taking photos after the ODBBA contest back in February. As we didn't know at the time that we'd be going to Cheltenham, we decided to get a band photo done as there hadn't been one taken professionally for a while.

After having the band photo taken, we were then told that everyone had to have an individual photograph taken, otherwise we wouldn't get the package sent to us. This wasn't something that many people wanted, but we went along with it.

When the photos arrived, the band photo was of poor quality - not a bad shot, but a noticeable glitch in one corner (giving the appearance that one of our bass players was holding an instrument and a half - literally!). Given this error (which to their credit, the photographers did correct) and the lack of interest in individual photos on the day, there was a low take-up on these sets - which may be why they've now asked us whether they should bother sending us proofs of the Cheltenham photos... still seems rather cheeky.

7. ekimmort

ekimmort Member

Does anyone have a contact number for this firm, We have not heard anything about our photos.

8. AlanD

AlanD Member

I paid for the large photo on the day and was told it would be sent to us within a few weeks. Not heard anything from these people....

9. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

Looking through the Nationals programme, the only photography firm advertising there is R&P Photographic (www.rapps.co.uk) ...

10. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Were they also at the RAH at the weekend for the Championship section contest? I believe my band also ordered one of the large poster prints (poor treasurer had to borrow some cash off a bass player as the photographer was keen to get paid there and then)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Cheltenham 2013
    Cheltenham
    post-contest photos
    printing
    sending proofs
  12. Neillyboy

Neillyboy Member

What do you expect from a photographer that looks like a young Ken Dodd!

13. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

No, they weren't.
    Can't comment on current quality, but we had photos from them at Harrogate a few years back and they were pretty good.

I'm a bit confused by people's attitudes tbh - they're running a business, and if bands accepted the offer to have photos taken on the day, I don't think its unreasonable for them to follow up and see if if people actually wanted the pics or they were just wasting their time....

14. Manxgirl

Manxgirl New Member

For anyone who has purchased the photo's I suggest you check the typing underneath the band name. Our band found we had been competing in Great Britian instead of Great Britain! They have promised to send fresh inserts for us but I don't know if this error is being rectified for all bands or just those that spotted it!