Cheesyest arrangement ever!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by TrumpetTom, May 30, 2011.

1. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

2. simonium

simonium Member

Total Broadbent. :)

3. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

And arranged with appropriate copyright clearance of course..........

4. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

Completely educational, I've made no money what so ever.

5. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Sadly it doesn't make any difference..

6. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

I thought there were educational exemptions?

7. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

I don't think you will find that arranging copyright material is covered.

8. simonium

simonium Member

Yes, how dare you do something for fun. ;) With arrangements like yours I fancy the Obrasso sweatshop beckons.

9. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

I did it for the Orchestra actually, drove the builders up the wall last summer! So should I leave it up?

10. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

11. MoominDave

MoominDave Active Member

You know there's something wrong with a portion of the law when it contradicts the intuitions and expectations of almost everyone who comes into intelligent and uncynical contact with it...

But it's the law.

12. Anglo Music Press

You might also think there is something wrong when arranging The Birdie Song is considered educational...

I'm rather comforted that there is a law against it!

:rolleyes:

13. MoominDave

MoominDave Active Member

A symptom of a diseased society?

14. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Bird flu ?

15. Pauli Walnuts

Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

And have you heard? Bird is the word....
    [youtube]dS74WjF2wOE[/youtube]

16. tgfoxley

tgfoxley Member

Better than the last arrangement of this I played...

...12 cornet players blowing across tuned J20 and Coke bottles

17. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

Are we sure it's not in the public domain? There's seems to be that many midi files and copies and stuff on the Internet and it ain't always 70 years after the death is it? Enescus not been dead that long I don't think and legend is in the public domain becuase I got my copy from imslp.

18. MoominDave

MoominDave Active Member

It's always 70 years in the UK, sorry. IMSLP makes things available that are public domain in the US, which has a less strict copyright term, and then puts the onus on you, the downloader, to check that it is legal for you to download it in the country where you are - they put up a very clear notice screen whenever you request anything spelling this out. So it is legal for IMSLP to put up an Enescu piece - but because he died 'only' 56 years ago, in 1955, it is not legal for you to download it in the UK, and quite ill-advised to advertise that you're doing it...

Just because something's widely done, it doesn't mean that it's legal - what it does mean is that lawmakers should give priority to reexamining the relevant legislation, as a law that makes criminals out of well-meaning people is clearly out of step with the society that it polices.

19. Anglo Music Press

From the Enescu page on imslp:-

Works by this person are most likely not public domain within the EU and in those countries where the copyright term is life+70 years. They may also be protected by copyright in the USA, unless published before 1923, in which case they are PD there as well. However, this person's works are public domain in Canada (where IMSLP is hosted), and in other countries where the copyright term is life+50 years.

It would be a good idea for you to familiarise yourself with current copyright law if you want to do some arranging. Much good stuff is available to you and copyright material can be licenced. Or you could move to Canada.... :)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  20. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

Ah just read that. They should make it more like YouTube where it blocks it if it's illegal in your country! Anyway the video isn't listed anymore and I'm looking into getting copyright permission becuase then can publish it too..... If anyone will have it :p btw does the fact I spelt it wrong make a difference? it was stolen from elsewhere anyway.

We need a better copyright system where you have to list your pieces and then have details up where you can be contacted - not hard!!! I'd be up for listing mine.