Cheesy .. or not ?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Sandy Smith, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Sandy Smith

Sandy Smith Member

Put the following into one of these two catagories..

Non Cheesy

Mardi Gras in New Orleans (Jan Magne Forde)

Concerto de Aranjuez (Flugel solo version)

Stingray (TV Theme)

Hymn to Diana (Joseph Turrin)

TorremaWakefield (Peter Skellern)

Nessun Dorma (Puccini)

Westminster Waltz (Robert Farnon)

Another Fine Mess (Laural & Hardy euph. duet)

Light Walk (Barrie Gott)

Softly As I Leave You (euph. duet)

Country Gardens (Percy Grainger)
  2. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

All Cheesy!
  3. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Not wishing to appear argumentative but no cheese whatsoever - just popular tunes that nearly everyone will know.
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I agree with that - although I do not particularly endorse the term "cheesy" to describe any music, partly as everyone seems to have their own idea of what they mean by the term.
  5. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Well I'm sure everyone has their own term for them - some years ago I used to refer to these pieces as being "throw aways" sort of described a piece that you'd get out the pad every Summer for the fete jobs. It did the business, didn't need a lot of rehearsal and Joe public loved it. This caused great offence to one of the old players who'd been in the band 60 years so out of deference to him they became "lollipops". We all knew what they were just gave it a more pleasing description.
  6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I think this is the problem with the term in everyday usage: the term "cheese" is used in a disparaging way, whereas I would see "lollipops" as being perfectly valid items in a lighter vein, used to provide variety in a programme, or as encores in the way that Sir Thomas Beecham understood the term.
  7. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Impossible to quantify as one man's cheese is anothers cracker
  8. hellyfrost

hellyfrost Member

It depends on the kind of crowd you're playing to really.. I'd call them crowd-pleasers for your average summer jobs or even for the non-serious winter jobs. Also good for the MD as they won't require too much of an introduction and great amounts of research! lol
  9. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

It certainly is. I am sure there has been in depth discussion on this topic here many times in the past. Some definitions fit the term 'cheesy' when applied to some pieces of music but I think the term is too generally used. There are many many more descriptive word available to describe pieces of music one personally may not like.

Definitions for 'cheesy'.....

Inferior or cheap; chintzy:
    Of poor quality; shoddy.
    cheap, inferior
    of very poor quality; flimsy

Do all the pieces in the first post qualify for these descriptions??