Check this for priorities then...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheMusicMan, Jun 30, 2006.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]BEIJING (Reuters) - A Beijing soccer fan refused to let the small matter of his house burning down disturb his enjoyment of Tuesday's World Cup match between France and Spain.

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]A fire broke out in a hutong in the center of the Chinese capital at 3am local time Wednesday -- kickoff time in Hanover -- and gutted the traditional courtyard dwelling, the Beijing Daily Messenger reported.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]
    "When the neighbors shouted 'fire!', I took my little baby and ran out in my nightclothes," the man's wife told the paper.
    [/FONT]
    "My husband paid no attention to the danger, just grabbed the television and put it under his arm.
    [/FONT]
    "After getting out of the house, he then set about finding an electric socket to plug in and continue watching his game."
    [/FONT]
    The anti-social timing of the matches broadcast from Germany, which is six hours behind China, has forced some Chinese fans to go to great lengths to follow the action.
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif] One man quit his job in Beijing to return to his hometown Chongqing so he could watch the whole tournament uninterrupted.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]State news agency Xinhua reported that the 23-year-old's boss at the IT company had offered him a pay rise, but he turned it down flat, saying the World Cup was more important than his job.[/FONT]
    The Guangzhou Daily reported that local police were forced to release a thief arrested for stealing a mobile phone when the victim refused to press charges because he did not want to miss the start of a match.
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif] Although there are also many female World Cup fans in China, one man in the southeastern city had to sign a contract with his wife agreeing to do all the housework during the month of the finals so he could watch the matches at night.

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]Another from Putian, Fujian province, took a less diplomatic approach, Xinhua reported.[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif] When his cheers during the Argentina-Ivory Coast match woke his wife and she switched off the television, he locked her in their bedroom and settled back down to watch the game ignoring her loud protests.[/FONT]

2. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Got them about right I'd say!

3. gawber

gawber Active Member

Quite right too! :clap:

4. Mrs Womble

Mrs Womble Member

I know how she feels, I too had to sign a contract saying I agree to do all the housework & cooking while the world cup is on!! :(

5. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Wasn't worth the paper it was written on though was it ;)

6. Mrs Womble

Mrs Womble Member

Mrs womble is shocked!!! - I can cook a lovely beans on toast;)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2006
  7. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, but the beans are supposed to come out of the tin! :rolleyes:

Those Chinese have it about right I reckon...and they're weren't even in the competition!! :-?

8. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I heard you do a mean sliced gravy too...:):)