"Cheating" at contests

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by euphsrock, Mar 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pav

Pav Member

Tazer the offenders. Lower currents to be used as you move down the sections.

2. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

It's TASER. :cool:

(Thomas A. Swift's Electric Rifle.)

3. baritastic

baritastic Member

I'd say your over edging the pudding slightly there, however you may be right I suppose. But any court in the land would laugh it out as therefor actually no loss that I can see. The judge would have to think what has Wychavon contest lost through these statements. Bands attending, patrons lost, financial damage. If you really believe that a court would even consider a case where an anon poster on an Internet forum that is discussing cheating at contests has somehow damaged the reputation of a local brass band contest that probably runs at a loss you are dilluded.

It will never happen.

I agree with the changing parts and soloist statements. It definatly is cheating and should not be allowed.

A baritone has to be in Bb according to the rules. Surely playing a baritone part on a tenor horn effectively means your using an Eb instrument. Hazy at best I know but there is an element of dodgy tactics in there somewhere.

Who cares how you spell tazer?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2010
  4. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Your dad could also have told you to use the "ignore user" function that this forum provides.

:rolleyes:

5. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

qed ...

[That's really odd; I typed QED in capitals, but when I "submit" it changes to lowercase ... :confused::confused::confused:]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  6. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

The inventor might ...

7. worzel

worzel Member

Libelling the organisers anonymously on someone else's website aside, I think the real issue here is that you are prepared to make accusations that you can't back up. If you have nothing to back up your accusations with, then how on earth can you yourself have any idea that your accusations are correct?

8. Kjata

Kjata Member

Do you really think that if some wanted to, they couldn't trace your IP address?
    Not that you're worth the effort... Anyway, i'm going to the lovely ignore bottom provided on tMP as you are really starting to annoy me now...! :mad:

9. Pav

Pav Member

My mistake. I'll stick my fingers in the light socket when I get home. :eek:

10. baritastic

baritastic Member

I do have the recording. But as I should not have that's probably not going to work is it.

So on a point relevant to this thread, how is it possible to challenge and proove there has been some sort of dishonesty? It's impossible, and if reactions are like that of some members here legal action would be threatened on the very suggestion of an investigation. We don't have anyone who could perform an investigation and a banding fraternity that would not Persue a top famous band anyway. An example of this is the europens 2004 or maybe 5 where a cornet player signed for tred played for duke at the contest. That was illegal and should have resulted in disqualification, but when raised to the contest organisers by a musical director of a welsh band not competing it was swept firmly under the carpet, and as Cory would not Persue it (they would have been champions had there been a disqualification) the matter was ignored. Ben Wrapp was signed for Tred and played for Dyke. No letter or permission was granted by Tred for him to play. In fact the band did not know he was playing until about a week later at ebbwvale contest, where the band realised they still had his registration card.

Whether dyke cheated knowingly or not I've no idea. Maybe he still had an English registration card but he should not have played and under the rules duke should have been disqualified. The contest ignored the evidence, well the entire thing actually.

These things happen, and if you think the Europeans are now going to sue me, or this web site your crazy. Let them try! It would be laughed out.

It's a joke. If you want to discuss cheating at contests on an open forum you have to be ready for some comments and opinions that you may not like. Vauxhall have not sued Jeremy clarkson for slamming just about every car he reviews! Come on!!

11. baritastic

baritastic Member

I have a recording of Tredegars performance. How much more proof can one need??

12. Brenda

Brenda Member

So they played over the time allowed. So what. They obviously calculated that they could afford to sacrifice half a dozen points and still be capable of blowing their opposition into oblivion. Perhaps your favourite band should just go away and practise more. Whilst they're improving their playing, perhaps you could go away and work to improve your spelling and grammar. Your language skills are easily as poor as Jon P's.

13. marc71178

marc71178 Member

To prove the corruption you've alleged - a hell of a lot more than that.

14. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Who was it who said "Always assume incompetence before malice"?

The best thing Jon could do would be to speak to the timekeeper at Wychavon, and find out exactly how the time was taken, and by what criteria. He could send them an anonymous copy of his recording if he was worried about getting in trouble for making it.

There you go, problem solved. Thread ends here? [I doubt it...]

15. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

What can I say, Paul... :clap:. People hide behind anonymity, but... hehe.:wink:

16. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

He'd have to go further than that to prove 'corruption'...however he did it he'd have to prove that there was some sort of contact between the organisers of the contest, and the winning band....and he'd also have to establish the reason for the organisers agreeing to let the winning band win (were they bribed? is there favouritism? is there a family connection? etc etc etc)....

They'd also maybe have to prove that another band were the deserved winners....

And that there was collusion between the organisers, the band, the timing people, and the adjudicators.

And that no other band was given leniency on timings....(therefore proving it wasn't a fault with the machine/person doing the timings).

I'm sure there are more things that would need to be proved before any decent judge would look at the case....and that's if a judge or prosecutor would think it would be worth pursuing what seems on the face of it to be a frivolous case anyway....

17. BrassFlyer

BrassFlyer Member

I like this thread, we have all done I bet in the bands we play/played for, as to right or wrong its made me think!!!!

18. Super Ph

Super Ph Member

obviously it is pretty easy to fake IP addresses, etc.
    but there aren't any libel cases here worth hiding from. anyone with anything really slanderous to say has long since left this site.

19. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

Ja mein furher!

20. flash harry

flash harry Member

barispa..., sorry, baritastic,

Your posts are amusing, keep them coming. The comments made in respect of possible legal action are also entertaining. Thread finished? Nope, I'm enjoying the rubbish. Carry on....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.