Cheating at contests cont . .

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Splitzer, Oct 13, 2010.

1. astreet83

astreet83 Member

2. astreet83

astreet83 Member

Surely Glynn didn't get away with this for the high notes on the trombone? :biggrin:

Attached Files:

3. cplcharisma

cplcharisma New Member

Isn't it cheating to rewrite parts?

Could the band simply play the piece in a different key as well as a different time signature to make it easier?

I'm not even sure that tecnically that is within the rules!

4. iancwilx

iancwilx Well-Known Member

5. cplcharisma

cplcharisma New Member

6. G D Bush

G D Bush Member

We were wondering about this in the run up to playing Terra Australis at the Nationals. Would have solved one or two potential problems (sop part, cadenzas etc) if we had re-written ithe whole piece down a tone. or slightly more... Would the adjudicators have noticed? Doubt it!!

7. cplcharisma

cplcharisma New Member

You should have done it.
    In an own choice contest Id go as far as to say there is no way they would notice. Especially with the 90 year old guys that do it over here. If they did have perfect pitch its very much gone by now!

Someone should take the risk, just to see what happens!

8. Independent Silver Band

Independent Silver Band Active Member

It would be noticed if played before, or after another group played the same piece.

9. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced. There's often five minutes or more between performances.

10. iancwilx

I agree - "Who dares wins" (Hopefully !)

It would be an interesting experiment if it was agreed and organised beforehand and unknown to the judges that one unspecified band would play the test piece in a different key.

Obviously this will never happen but it's food for thought.

- Mr Wilx (Obviously with too miuch time on his hands !)

11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

There was a story running for years when a band played Life Divine down a major 2nd in a contest when Drake Rimmer was judging. Wrong adjudicator to try that trick as he had "perfect pitch", noticing it straight away.

12. iancwilx

Just to complicate matters further, at the 1963 British Open on Life Divine, some bands played in "High" pitch, and some in "Concert "(Low) pitch. This was a difference of nearly a semi-tone.
    All the "Experts" claimed that the "High" pitch bands sounded brighter - well they would say that wouldn't they ?
    Would playing a test piece a semi-tone up give a band the edge on the opposition ?
    Discuss !

- Mr Wilx

13. iancwilx

PS: I wouldn't envy the 1st Baritone player playing the famous semiquaver run a major 2nd down - it would go a pedal "D#" - need a 4v Bari for that !! I know they were manufactured in those days as Bradford Victoria Band had one.

Mr Wilx

14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Throughout banding history, parts have veen swapped or rewritten. I've only played Life Divine once, and had to cover the cornet runs that overlapped through the section. It would have been a little too obvious if it was open adjudication, lol!

15. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

You don't know John Berryman then, whose pitch is still as perfect as anyone I've ever met. I'd put a months salary on that trick getting noticed if he was in the box.

16. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Indeed; I don't believe anyone would lose a sense of pitch, (perfect or perfect relative) just because of advancing years ...

17. mikey.smithy

mikey.smithy Member

****** right it would with JB. His pitch is amazing, he spots any wrong pitch no matter how obscure the notation might seem or the speed at which it is being played. He's not quite 90 yet though so time will tell.....

18. eflatbass

eflatbass Supporting Member

Memories! When playing 1st Baritone with Langley Band in 1972, I had been "showing off" before the rehearsal started, by rattling through the final variation of La Belle Americaine. The following week, the first piece of music on the stand was Life Divine. I thought I had been given the solo euph part in error. After stumbling down the semiquavers about six times, our MD, the lovely Dennis Masters, smiled in my direction, quietly closed his score and we moved on to the next piece.

It was the same year that we competed for the Grand Shield at Belle Vue, where the test piece was the Brahms Academic Festival Overture. We finished well down the pecking order, and I shall never know whether the tenor horn and baritone duet in that arrangement was bang in tune, because I simply could not hear the horn!

19. cplcharisma

cplcharisma New Member

Im not sure John would thank you for saying he's 90! Or to name him as one of the "old giffers" of our long established adjudication tradition.

Perhaps it would be better for you to say nothing.

20. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Of course he isn't.

But maybe you can gives us the names then, of all the over-90 adjudicators?
    So that everyone knowh who you are talking about here...