Cheapo Indian Cornets

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Anno Draconis, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

As advertised on eBay:

Including shipping, insurance, import tax and VAT, I make it about £140 for a brand new (albeit very basic) beginners' cornet. Are they a good or bad thing? Has anyone ever bought one of these, and if so did it arrive, and was it playable? Or is it all a big scam? (pardon my cynicism)

If I wanted one for my kids to get them through Tune A Day book 1, would I be better just getting an old battered Imperial or something?

Your thoughts are welcome....
  2. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Well John Packers have their own brand cornets which are around the £120 ish mark and sound and play quite well for the price, so I think I'd go for that instead. At least you can take/send it back unlike something from India or China. :)
  3. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I reckon the Indian and Chinese people selling for £0.99 on eBay make ALL their money from the surplus of postage. I was informed by a post office owner with contacts in India that where it typically costs under £40 to despatch an item from India to the UK, the vendors charge £90+.

The postage is never refundable, so even if you are sent a replacement, you will pay another £90+, thereby increasing their profit.

If you want a cheap but serviceable cornet, buy one from a UK outlet. If they are from India or China, there will have been some quality control before the instrument is put up for sale in a UK outlet, and if it fails for any reason, you can meet the seller face to face with having to take a continental flight.

For £140, you should be able to get a good starter instrument.
  4. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

I bought a fanfare trumpet from india - I knew it would be bad and had a backup plan for it.

It was worse that I ever thought it could be and is now a garden water feature in Ohio.

'nuff said.
  5. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

You forgot to mention the variation on the Nigerian money scam that came with the sale of the water feature........
  6. Steve

Steve Active Member

virtuosi brass are the place for student instruments at the minute, the trade stand has been out recently and the feedback is fantastic. They can be contacted here

these are good instruments, not just because i know the guy who runs it (shawneuph on this site) but because everyone that has tried them has told us they are good instruments.

Happy hunting
  7. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Wasn't there a review of these people in the latest Bandsman? I only skim-read it, but it looked very favourable indeed.
  8. Steve

Steve Active Member

As I dont get the bandsman I couldnt say. Im sure Shawn could confirm it but he's away in China testing the new instruments.

Anyone else read it?
  9. Flugel_Player

Flugel_Player Member

I wouldnt get one from india.. noo! just get a cheapish one which you no is a good make and wont split down the middle whilst you play.. :p
  10. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Cheers folks, more or less confirms what I thought but nice to get other people's input. I'll certainly be having a closer look at JP/Virtuosi, I confess they're new to me...
  11. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

I believe everybody knows what I think about my no-name El Cheapo Euph that I bought from eBay and the problems I had just getting it playable. ;) :D
  12. shawneuph

shawneuph Supporting Member

Most own brand instruments are from China including the Packers stuff. If you buy from an Indian or Chinese based company via ebay you are likely to be stiched up with a load of rubbish as most of the factories manufacturer shocking instruments ( nearly all the Indian ones are appauling, more often than not they do not play and are all nearly CHROME or NICKEL plated) however there are a few high tech factories in China producing some excellent models. The Virtuosi brand that I have developed over the last 18 months is the result of several trips to these factories (just got back from another 9 day trip) by either sourcing the best models or having them manufactured to my own specifications you will be amazed at the quality and value for money they represent (includes full UK warranty ) New models now ready for launch ( already being manufactured for me to my own designs) this spring include high spec baritone and tenor horn both very similar to the soveriegn ( but both will be under £1000 ) also large bore double trigger cornet at around £600. Already available are a range of student and advanced model instruments including large bore main slide trigger cornet at £450 incl DW mutes, DW Mp, and cornet stand !! Fully Comp 4valve euphonium £1200 plus many more models (woodwind and strings also available) Bessons best selling instruments of the last 18 months has been the 1000 range which was solely made in their Indian factory and no-where else !!
    Much of the Virtuosi instrument range is specificly made to our own designs not off the shelf massed produced models.

See them on my Trade stand at North midlands association contest Derby, Brass at the Guild Preston contest, YORKSHIRE AREA, MIDLANDA AREA and NORTH EAST AREA, to name a few.

13. shawneuph

If you are looking for a cheap cornet our student model ( which is based on a Yamaha design) which is not an old chinese design , or corton or similar is priced at a ridiiculous low price of £99 + VAT this includes a well made and finished instrument, basic hard case, ( but perfectly acceptable although no room for mutes) a basic un-branded mouthpiece, and a 12 month warranty, you can of course upgrade the case or mouthpiece if you require, ( have sold over 100 of this model since October to bands, students, and teachers )
  14. Despot

Despot Member

You'll get a second hand Blessing on EBay for much cheaper than that. Bought 3 of them that way for our junior band, and they were all perfectly good student instruments.
  15. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

Those indian things are awfull.they blow like theres a small rodent stuck up them and the valves are like the pistons from a 1970's british made of my pupils bought a brasilian made cornet from blows ok and the valves actualy locate,not exactly a top draw instrument but at a cheap price perfect for a kid who lets face it may well give up after a year or two to take up the play station and eating!!!!
  16. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

Well, there is that aspect. Which is one of the reasons I went that route as well... just to make sure I'd stick with it after all these years off and not be saddled with an expensive instrument that'll just collect dust.

Of course - I managed to sell my El Cheapo to another friend for about half what I gave for it... so it's all good.
  17. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

OMG - do NOT buy any brass instrument from India. They are unbelievably dodgy. My ex is a brass teacher and one of his pupils had one. The bell literally fell off one day while he was playing! When my ex checked the valves etc, the holes were all out of alignment, it was absolutely awful. The poor kid has given up now, not surprisingly. You can easily get hold of a second hand student model for under £100.
    My trumpet (Holton T602) is a student model but it blows really, really well (very zingy though... not exactly a deep orchestral sound) and I got it second hand for £40. The mouthpiece cost more than that!
  18. Jon Parkinson

Jon Parkinson New Member

Shawn is right that some of the Chinese stuff is very good if you look very carefully for a supplier who has a pride in his work and is eager to take on board new ideas. We have also worked with the Chinese on a number of design projects and some of the results are stunning value for money. Have a look at some of the crits on our website ( - no the guys doing the assessment are not friends or relations and we haven't paid them! Most of them were secretly chosen by Philip Biggs (Brass Herald). The problem with China is that it is capable of great contrast - some instruments are great and some are absolutely awful and the market place will be very confused over the next few years until things settle down. Like the man says - best to buy from someone who will do the quality control for you and look after you if something goes wrong. It might cost a little more, but, if you want an instrument, why buy a water feature?
  19. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

We are just contemplating buying a couple of cornets for our training band - someone suggested John Myatts at 149.00 each - any one tried one/got one?
  20. shawneuph