charity wristbands... are they really that charitable???

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by drummergurl, Mar 5, 2005.

?

are the charity wristbands all for peoples personal image now?

1. yes

68.1%
  2. no

8.5%
  3. what bands?

23.4%
  1. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

just been chatting with dawn on this.

all the bands that are around, the livestrong ones, beat the bullies, those sort of ones, the ones that EVERYONE is wearing, are people wearing them because they feel it is a worthy cause? or are people just wearing them for the image.

im not trying to suggest everyone who wears them is wearing them for the image, but certainly some people are.
    most people are walking around with bands on their arms, me included. however there are people walking around with millions of them, people selling them for stupid prices on ebay with most of the money probably going in their back pocket and not to charity.

whats really getting to me is that, alot of people are probably only buying them for the image, wearing them for the image, and not caring one bit about the charity. its all good that money is going to charity from people buying them, but i dont see why people buy and wear them when they quite blatantly dont care about the charity its for.

i personally feel that society is dominated by image, just look at the fashion scene, celebrities all need to look good, because of a public image. its all about image now, and i feel thats wrong!

so please, give me your thoughts on this...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2005
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    charity wristbands
    public image
    alot of people
    money
    ebay
  3. Dawnys_flug

Dawnys_flug Member

Very well said Chappers...

This discussion started because today at work we received a delivery of the nike black and white anti-racism bands (i work in a sports shop btw).
    To say that there's been alot of interest in them is an understatement. We've had to limit sales to 2 per customer.
    Of course i fully support the sale of the silicon bands to help the charities that they represent, and the popularity of them can only help the charities gain valuble funds. But clearly there are lots of people buying in bulk from charity's websites and then selling on ebay to make profit! I even overheard a parent today telling her son (who had not bought his two :rolleyes: ) to go back and get two and make sure he keeps them in the packets so that they can sell them!!

As Sarah said, there are of course people who wear their bands in support of the charity (me included), but when you get young children coming in and asking for the 'racist'(!!!!) bands, i can't help but think the point of them is being missed!!

4. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

Well, I have to agree with you. I work in a secondary school and the kids trade these bands for fun. They even colour co-ordinate so that the "in" crowds all have the same colours on. I don't for one minute believe that they are all doing it for charitable purposes, and not many of them can tell you what they are all for anyway!

It wouldn't be SO bad if they lived their lives in accordance with what they are supposedly supporting - you'd be amazed at the number of bullies walking round with blue bands on their wrists!!!

Gah.....!

5. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

have to say, i havent been shopping in months and havent seen anywhere i could buy them... dont know what the colours mean... but i know ive seen a lot of them round my (middle class) college, mostly yellow ones (?) and to me it looks like the people who buy them are the middle class kids who might or might not care about the actual issue, but who dont want to actually get their hands dirty and do anything about it. personally i would rather just donate the sodding money without getting anything out of it - and why should i have to display everything i believe in? (although obviously i do by what i wear anyway... but thats a different issue).
    hmm. so can anyone tell me what the colours mean?
    xx

6. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

I've had a problem with this kind of thing right since the very first Red Nose Day, when a Red Nose and doing "crrrrayzeee" things became the Number One fashion item.
    I think far too many people do these things just for the image and are never touched by the real issues.
    Having said that, so long as people buy the things and lots of money goes to a charity, why should anyone care exactly why people buy them? (Leaving aside the issue of resale etc.)
    The only colour I know is the white one for make poverty history. But then, I'm an old fogey. :)
    BMB
    xx

7. Dawnys_flug

Dawnys_flug Member

Sevenhelz, basically the colour of the band represents the charity it is supporting. Pink are for breast cancer research and black and white for anti-racism.
    The yellow one's are for the charity LIVESTRONG that supports specifically testicular cancer victims set up by cyclist Lance Armstrong. They all support very worthy causes, but people just want one of every colour or of a particular colour.
    Talking to someone at work today, i mentioned the cancer research band (pink) and he said "oh i don't want that one-it's pink"(grrrrr)

And to sterlingsop- it's so true about bullies wearing anti-bullying bands! Insane!!

8. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

yeah i agree sterlingsop. also one thing that happened a few days ago, was that a friend of mine from school told me that you can get the make poverty history bands from oxfam. now your probably thinking thats all good and well, but then he went on to say that he wouldnt go in oxfam while there were people around that he knew. which i think is ridiculous.

another thing that came up is that i think the whole bands thing is gettin abit silly now, with bands for nearly every charity. i mean its all good and well that the money is going to charity, but whats going to be next... green ones for save the trees? :dunno

9. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

lol the green ones would be the only ones i'd buy then...

i admit it... i'm a green freak. i like trees more than people. hehe.

10. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

I've got one of the beat the bullying one's. And I have that because I really despise bullying and hope that one day it'll stop. But I will admit that it's turning into a image thing now! It's just getting ridiculous! Most people don't even care which one(s) they're wearing or what they stand for!

11. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

I asked someone which charity theirs was for and they didnt know...

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    charity wristbands
    public image
    alot of people
    money
    ebay
  13. Rach_Horn

Rach_Horn Member

I have a pink breast cancer one. I have to admit, i did partly buy it bcos i wanted a pink one but sayin that i do donate money to breast cancer charities aswell. i do agree that people wear the bands because they are 'fashionable' and cool' rather than because they actually have feelings towards the cause

14. dyl

dyl Active Member

Surely though some (most) people buy them as fashion statements, does it really matter in the long run because (only when bought officially and not via e-Bay) the charities concerend gain in two ways - they gain financially and they gain more awareness for the cause.

15. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

The kids at the school I work at wear them as fashion accessories...some of them don't even know which charity they are for. They are also a major source of arguements.."She's got my band cos we swapped and now she wants hers back..."

(The pink one goes well with my pink cowboy boots though ;-) )

16. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

At my school we've been told to only buy them from shops because loads of people are buying them for a pound and then selling them for two or three pounds and pocketing the profit.

17. groovy

groovy Active Member

I think the bands have turned into an image thing, which is a shame, but as long as the charities are gaining from it I don't think that matters too much. However it upsets me to think that a lot of people are selling them for a fortune and keeping the money. I have bought loads of the pink breast cancer ones from eBay, to sell to friends, and I am donating the profit (£30+) to a breast cancer charity. Also the person I bought them from says she is donating most of her profits too. I have told everyone what they are standing for and the fact that I am not keeping the profit, and most of my friends are wearing them because they are for a good cause, not just because they are pink.

18. Brassb3ll3nd

Brassb3ll3nd Member

Yea ........ !!!

I've got 2 ................ joking

19. Jayboy

Jayboy New Member

where can ya get the yellow livestrong bands from?! i want one real bad n its a great cause

its nice to be seen suporting charity.

20. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Why?
    BMB

21. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

*nods* good point.

22. Jayboy

Jayboy New Member

wat ya mean why???

because i want a yellow livestrong band