Charity Concert

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by strongbow, Jul 15, 2003.

1. strongbow

strongbow Member

There will be a charity concert on Sunday 27th July in Glossop Bandroom in aid of Manchester Royal Infirmary's Leukaemia Ward. The concert starts at 8pm.
  2. strongbow

strongbow Member

I forgot to add that there will be no door fee for the concert but we will be having an 'honesty tray', raffle and auction.

Your support for this event would be most welcome.
  3. markyboy

markyboy Member

Hi Janet. Do you have any details about who will be playing? I should imagine there will be some pretty big names there as per usual. If there is, then perhaps letting everyone know may get a few more people through the doors to support this very worthy cause.
    Hope the concert is a success.
    Mark Wears. Pennine Brass.
  4. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

presume its the usual top end championship section scratch band?
  5. strongbow

strongbow Member

Correct! However, the band isn't finalised yet as a lot of players are on holiday.

Bands involved so far include YBS, Wingates, Faireys, Fodens, Besses.

Last time I organised a scratch band I booked players weeks in advance and when I rang round a week before I got lots of "oh, I forgot, I can't do it now". So I decided that this year I would leave it until a couple of weeks before to book players and have a couple of gaps.

If anyone could help I am short of percussion, Eb and Bb Bass (one of each) and a 2nd horn.

6. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

il do 2nd horn if you want? ;)
    whos doing it from besses? jannine, dave?
  7. strongbow

strongbow Member

Consider yourself booked!

Kevin on Bass 'Bone. J9 and Dave are away so can't do. Players are meeting at 7.15ish and it is black and whites.

8. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

iv got u a Bb player too if needed?
  9. strongbow

strongbow Member

Yet another cry for help!

The band is finally taking shape and I am now short of a backrow cornet and Eb bass. IF anyone can help please contact me by PM or email to

10. strongbow

strongbow Member

Good news, apart from Eb Bass we now have a full band!

Any willing victims (sorry volunteers) out there?

11. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

Doran do it... cos i need a lift ;)
  12. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

13. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

I have been asked, but am already doing a Freck gig Aidan. Sorry!
  14. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

bah, fp :p
    id ask ben but he hasnt got a car ;) ;) heheh
  15. strongbow

strongbow Member

Thanks everybody

Many thanks to everyone who played in the charity concert last night. We managed to raise £500.

The band was made up of players from

Carlton Main
    Versatile Brass

If I have missed anyone please forgive me, it's early in the morning for me and I haven't had my first cup of coffee yet.

Once again thanks to the players and a huge thanks to the audience for donating so much money.

Janet Lewis
  16. markyboy

markyboy Member

Sorry I couldn't make it but well done to Janet and all players involved in this concert.
    Hope there's another one soon and this time I will make it to listen.
  17. Claire

Claire Member

Hi Mark,

I've more or less got one organised for Dobcross on August 10th. Players so far from :- Imps, Hepworth, Pennine, B&R, Sellers, Leyland, Lindley, Hebden Bridge, YBS, (think that's it)!!
    Simon Wood is conducting.

If anyone is free I still need a B flat bass and percussionist. (Maybe a solo horn too :( )

All proceeds are to Guide Dogs for the Blind.

Dobcross band club,
    August 10th
  18. markyboy

markyboy Member

Sounds good Claire!
    Queen of the scratch bands hard at work again.

re percussion players, Nick that plays for us may well do it and bring his nephew as well.Contact me if you need their numbers.
  19. Claire

Claire Member

Will do.

I'm away from now until the concert so if anyone can help me out please ring/text me on 07789 755796

20. markyboy

markyboy Member

Just got in from the Dobcross concert that Claire organised and I have to say it was really enjoyable.
    Pity there weren't just a few more in the audience but I suppose it is holiday time.

The players managed to raise £210 for Guide dogs for the blind and a good time was had by all.