Charity band event - your suggestions/help

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by timbloke, Sep 10, 2003.

1. timbloke

timbloke Member

TMPers, your help would be much appreciated.

A friend of mine is just embarking on oganising a week long charity event in aid of British Heart Foundation to be held at the University of Sheffield next Feb. She asked me if my band would do a charity concert for her, however even for charity most bands have to charge, albeit usually a reduced fee.

But, I started thinking. I'm sure I could get a scratch band together... then I started thinking, maybe we could make something of this... I dunno, a massed open rehearsal or a scratch band entertainments contest... maybe would could try and acheive a world record in something? a playathon or something...

Unfortunately I am going to be away for the week in question, but I told her that I would see what I could do, ask around.

So now the floor is open.... we have 6 months to come up with the TMPathon in aid of British Heart Foundation - Blow Yourself Healthy or something...

Any ideas?
  2. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

Well the Union has great facilities for a big event and lots of pubs close by!
  3. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Blowathons have been successful...

I'm still thinking of other things! :lol:
  4. markyboy

markyboy Member

I would be game to get involved, especially for this good cause. I'm only a few miles up the road from Sheffield.
    Anyone else like to pledge their support? A blowathon sounds like a good idea, plus an excuse to get meet some tMPers face to face!
    Even if it only raises a couple of hundred quid it all counts.
    Come on folks put your name down!
  5. Naomi McFadyen

I do anything for charity- within reason :p
    If I can get some transport I'd be up for going definatly... do we know a date yet in Feb?

(and yes, I'm still thinking of other ideas... some sort of sponsored thing... charity -donations only- concert... maybe a workshop of some sort?... get some big names involved too if we can, that always helps... raffle always goes down a treat... errr)
  6. timbloke

timbloke Member

Yes.. the week ending in Valentines day (Saturday 14th Feb to those un-romantic amongst you)

There will be events, mainly of a sporting nature, throughout the week. a number of have a go things and stuff like that. The University is back this all the way, so we should have access to concert venues etc. if we ask nicely.
  7. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

yep. I'll jump in and help out, only up road in leeds!!

What about getting besson in on it and lending us a soloist for an hour!! Mr. Webster/thorton, childs, hudson, maybe an hour each!!!!!
  8. Naomi McFadyen

Now that's a great idea!
  9. timbloke

timbloke Member

well if you have any of these ideas, try and get some contact names, and i'll make enquiries, altenatively if you have any contacts, you make enquiries and pass them on to me.

with a bit of effort we could do something quite succesful i think?
  10. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

I'm interested and could also try and get kids from school band to go if your wanting loads of players.
  11. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

Aye, I'll probably be up for it depending on dates and times.

Also as well, the tMP massed bands concert that the Mods are in the middle of sorting out for Children in Need day :arrow:

All the basic info is given by Roger in the last post of the thread!

Looks like we could end up having one a month in each different area very soon!!! :D