Channel 5 tonight - what band?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by bbg, Aug 13, 2008.

1. bbg

bbg Member

Watched the Rory McGrath / Paddy McGuinness prog on 5 earlier, where they are traveling around bits of rural England participating in random "strange sports" ( like shin-kicking, river football and tiddlywinks - played in evening dress at Cambridge Uni.......) and the background/incidental music was provided by a brass band.

Anyone know which band?
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Programme's back on again at this moment and the band clips (so far) come from a variety of sources (and eras).
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Most of the music's old, but original numbers!
  4. Al

Al Member

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I take it this is a repeat of last week's programme?
  6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Hmmm, Scotland covered in tonight's programme and they missed the famous (Lin)Lithgow Pram Race or even the Cardboard Boat Race? Not least, for banders, the Lithgow Marches (when the generous shopkeepers, pub owners and residents offer the thirsty players some refreshment during the course of the day's marathon! They were in the locality!
  7. cornet_babe

cornet_babe Member

I love this programme! The brass band music to link is the icing on top of the cake :D
  8. numptycornet

numptycornet Member

We (Knaresborough Silver Band) were in the Knaresborough Bed Race Parade although the programme didn't really show the parade so we weren't seen. It is a very long march.

I saw Rory's bed run past towards the end of the race. He looked seconds away from a major coronary! The rest of the team were hardly breaking into a sweat.

The band are talking about putting a team together to run it for next year.
  9. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

NOOO!! MISSED IT AGAIN! I only caught the last 10 mins last week ( shin kicking.... made my eyes water )!
  10. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Did you have to wade/swim the river at the end? :eek:;)

I have to say Knaresbrough looks a particularly lovely place - is it all as pretty as the programme made out?

Loving the programme - but I like these sort of road-trip shows (liked Robbie Conltraine's one last year too) and Paddy and Rory look like they're having a hoot. Nice "splitty" camper too. I wonder if they sleep in it...;)
  11. numptycornet

numptycornet Member

Fortunately the band does not have to swim! The parade is very long and very stop and start so the biggest danger is not watching the person in front of you and ending up swallowing your cornet.

Knaresborough is very pretty (I'm biased, of course) and quite a sleepy little place most of the time but the bed race really does take over the whole town. Its a great day out.