Changing the Meaning?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by midwalesman, Nov 26, 2005.

1. midwalesman

midwalesman Member

Having enjoyed my first experience of the Brass In Concert event a number of questions have come to mind. Many, if not all bands were criticised for the programmes of music and the type of entertainment provided. My initial questions are:-

a) Does the changing of venue from Spennymoor Leisure Centre to the purpose built Sage Centre mean that those attending think of the concepts of music and entertainment differently?

For example in a leisure centre would a bumble bee type of entertainment be acceptable but not in the Sage. Whilst the music played at a leisure centre may be perceived differently at the Sage?

b) Playing in an entertainment contest for the first time in a long long time I thought it was interesting that the approach of the players in question was more for a concert yet the event was clearly a contest. So does the Brass In Concert contest best approached as a contest or concert? And is there a significant difference between the two processes in your band?

2. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

This being my 1st Brass in Concert, I cant comment on the differences between the 2 venues. But I thought the Sage was an excellent place to host this event, (apart from the car parking charges I thought tho!)

Although I was wondering if I was at the same place as 4br had in their retrospective?!! I seen 7 out of the 12 bands, but they certainly slammed them all quite abit and they didnt seem to enjoy the entertainment value of it, not sure what kind of aspect of music entertainment they would like to visually see! Or I am just reading their article wrong?! :rolleyes: Although Im glad I didnt see any trouser dropping or any nonsense like that, and prob glad I didnt get there in time to see the bee, from what Ive read!

Its prob just me and maybe I wasnt looking at the day as in depth as they were for the contesting reasons. I went to watch and to get entertained by a handful of the countries top bands that I hadnt ever seen live before and meeting friends that I hadnt seen for a while.
    Maybe I didnt look into the technical side of the music and merely went along for an enjoyable day out, in which case I travelled 600 odd miles for the pleasure!

I prob took the day as a big concert in itself, hearing and watching this calibre of bands for the 1st time, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I thot there was some music that was abit serious there but I enjoyed it all the same. Im no adjudicater, and didnt have a clue on any of the other placing of bands, (although the Co and Whitburn shouldve been higher! ;) ) But I just felt that Brighouse did things right and entertained me the most, even tho Ive always wanted to see Grimey play!! I didnt feel disapponted by them, maybe it was the music that they played, just didnt do it for me, apart from Richard Marshall's solo and the Xylo thing (but even that was bordering on slapstick comedy for the 4brs team!) but I thot Brighouse had more of a sparkle!

3. andyp

andyp Active Member

I've been to watch Brass in Concert 3 or 4 times, and played once, and always thought of it as a "concert contest", if that concept makes any sense!
    I can see how the change of venue might make people take things "more seriously" in a sense, but I think even then there's still room for the light-hearted bits. However, if you're going to do slapstick, it must be done professionally, and rehearsed, or it will look awful. All the best entertainers rehearse their acts over and over, so it looks spontaneous on stage, but still professional (a good example, Frankie Howerd, every "oooh missus" scripted, but who could tell?). A couple of weeks ago I saw Canadian Brass at the Bridgewater Hall, and their encore was "Carmen" in 4 minutes, complete with bass player dressed as a bull! Serious venue, seriously good players, and seriously funny, but obviously rehearsed to death beforehand, and it was brilliant. I can also remember a couple of hilarious routines from Brass in Concerts past, the "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy" done by four large rugby prop forwards in tu-tus (Fairey's), and "Duet for Two Cats" done by the solo trombone and a very nice looking blonde repiano cornet player in a very short skirt (Tredegar?) , both of which were hilarious, but also musically spot on and well-prepared.
    In this sort of contest I think there's room for humour (if done properly) and serious pieces together, it creates contrast within the programme. The problem is that some of the humour gets overdone and is under-rehearsed, and because of that it doesn't work.