Changing mouthpiece?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by IcklePablo, Nov 23, 2004.

1. IcklePablo

IcklePablo Member

Does anyone know the bad affects of changing mouthpiece sizes?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    bad affects of changing mouthpiece sizes
    Does
  3. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

A change of mouthpiece won't necessarily be a bad thing - it all depends what you are going to and from.

What do you currently play on?
    What are you thinking of changing to?
    Why?
    What are you hoping for from the change?

4. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I suppose that depends on if you're going from a Sop mp to a BbBass mp....hehehehehe

sorry... couldn't resist....

5. IcklePablo

IcklePablo Member

i mean to go back and forth from a 2b to 3b?? (cornet)

6. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Why, I use the Wick 1L for both [​IMG]

7. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Don't know about cornet mouthpieces, but having switched baritone mouthpieces, sometimes the whole pitch tendencies of the instrument can change and need to be resorted (although not always)

8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

. . . just put it on the outside of the shank when playing sop ;)

9. Laserbeam bass

Yes, but back to front [​IMG]

10. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Well, as I am apparently the only one on tMP who tries to give sensible answers, let me try.

Why are you thinking of changing?
    If you find that changing mouthpieces is the way to achieve a better tone, or hit a few notes higher, it is not the mouthpiece that needs changing, it is (unfortunately) the player.

I use various mouthpieces in my playing life, but generally stick to the same size rim (big!) and vary the depth of cup, depending which instrument I am playing (I play flugel, cornet, soprano, piccolo trumpet, Eb/D trumpet, G trumpet, C trumpet, Bb trumpet etc) and what style.

An extra 15 minutes of practising each day might mean that you can achieve the results you are looking for without changing mouthpiece.

Whenever a student asks me about mouthpieces the main question I ask is why they want to change. If it is just to get high notes (frequently the case) I use my mouthpiece (which is much larger than anything they use) and play their pieces up an octave - proving that it is not the mouthpiece that gives you high notes. Endurance can be a factor, but again - time spent in the practice room can be a better use of your resources.

What brought about the interest in change of mouthpiece?

If the answer to this last one is that you have heard someone else play on one and liked their sound - if you saw an athlete win a race, would you want their shoes?
    Everyone is different. What works well for one player won't necessarily be the same for everybody. I know of very few people who like the mouthpieces I play on, but they work for me.

Mouthpiece choice must be an individual choice. When advising students about mouthpiece choice that is all I can do - give advice, based on my experience as a player and a teacher. I can see how their embouchures work and might be able to suggest a mouthpiece that will benefit their playing. I can hear what aspects of their playing might be enhanced by the use of certain mouthpieces. Without seeing/hearing you I would hesitate to suggest one model over another.

My best advice is to try them and see how things work out. If things get better (and stay better - once the honeymoon period is over) you could have found your "perfect" mouthpiece. If not, maybe you already had it. If you are still not happy, maybe some more searching will turn up something different?

Be warned, however, the mouthpiece safari can take a lifetime and be a very expensive journey.

If it works, why are you considering changing?

Please feel free to ask more questions, should you feel that way inclined - I will try to answer sensibly. You never know, others might join in with some good advice too?

11. Mike

I for one, appreciate your comments....keep em coming.

You obviously know what you are talking about.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    bad affects of changing mouthpiece sizes
    Does
  13. Laserbeam bass

[​IMG]

14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

15. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Loss of range - last time i tried playing on a DW bucket euph mouthpiece (2al) i couldn't get above a g on the top space

16. squirrel

squirrel Member

I personally find it can take weeks for the embrochure to settle out after changing mouthpieces, particularly if the rim is a different size or shape.

I do admit to using a different mouthpiece for marches, but if the main aim was accuracy of playing and purity of tone, then the band would stop to play :)

All mouthpieces (and instruments in general) are compromises, and if you regularly change between two mouthpieces, then you're going to be compromising between two compromises .....

But hey, if it works for you then don't let a bunch of weirdos on here stop you :-D