Changing mouthpiece positition...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Seedhouse, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Hello, have recently changed my mouthpiece position from being 40/ 60 to 50/50- as it's more comfortable, and as could be expected my upper lip needs to be built up. I was wondering what the best way was to build up lips after moving mouthpiece position, and how long it would take before things were back to normal so to speak.
    Cheers,
    Alex

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    mouthpiece positition
    lip
    way
    Cheers
    mouthpiece position
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I always find it's best to leave it in the end of the leadpipe - any other position doesn't really work for me :shock: :oops: :wink:

4. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

Peter!!! *smacks u*

Are we talking up/down or left/right movement, sorry???

5. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Lol! :lol: Nice one Peter :wink:

I've moved it up so it's now exactly where people say it "should be."
    It used to be 40 on the top and 60 on the bottom, so now it's 50/50, and still central on my lips. That enough info?

6. Okiedokie of Oz

I once read somewhere that it is a 60/40 split.....reverse what you had.....but I think it's mainly where it's comfortable.

7. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Yeh 40/ 60 was getting far too uncomfortable for me. So i've moved it to where it is comfortable and working on building it up. I'm not sure if it's 50/50 or 60/40, but it's at least half way between!

8. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

I think that there is maybe a bit too much emphasis placed on embrochure position, some of the best players around have had wildly unusual positions. But in terms of comfort, it's a good move. My position isn't central, bit more up than it should be, but it's comfortable and more important it works for me.

As for answering your question, work on all your technical exercises over to help you get used to playing in this new position, I imagine flexibilities would be most important here, but this is speculative since I've not really made that sort of move before.

9. Rob

Rob Member

Exactly, too many people get stressed over the 'ratios' aspect of mouthpiece position. Play wherever you feel comfortable, and if it works for you, don't let anyone tell you that you should move to the "correct" position. I play with my mouthpiece almost entirely on the right hand side of my mouth, loads of people have told me that I should move, that it will affect my playing someday, that it causes bad tuning etc. etc. Fair enough it looks pretty weird but so far (touch wood) it hasn't caused me any problems because its comfy for me.

But if you have switched positions you'll just need to keep plugging away, I reckon don't change your practising or anything else, you just need to take time to get used to the new way of playing. It won't happen instantly but if you give it time it should start beginning to work for you.

This might sound like a load of drivel to some people, but its just my thoughts!! Cheers

10. twigglet

twigglet Member

I play almost entirely on my top lip, well with my top lip overlapping my bottom one anyway... Hasn't caused me many problems, only prehaps on the very highest register.

I was advised to try and change it, but I don't think I will now...

11. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

You're right Robert. I was told to move to a more central position as I was a bit off to the left. I had various people telling me I had to start again and work on this and that and the other, I ended up really fed up and wondering if I did start again would I lose interest. But bless Phillip McCann who taught when I was in Huddersfield, he said 'move it then! Don't stress about it and just try to carry on as normal' It worked!

You can end up getting very stressed and unhappy about the whole embouchure area. As Robert said, don't alter your routine too much.

Remember this is supposed to be fun.

Hope it works out for you.

Alex

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    mouthpiece positition
    lip
    way
    Cheers
    mouthpiece position
  13. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Heh, I can just imagine him saying that! :D

14. Okiedokie of Oz

I have always played slightly crooked, and now I've moved it over, I will admit my playing is generally better, but I doubt I could ever go straight again.

15. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

What do you mean never go straight again?

Cheers for all of your advice guys, it's really helped me. :wink:

16. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

beurgh

17. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Cheers for your contribution there Aidan :wink: :D

18. horn1

horn1 Member

I had problems with the position of my mouthpiece when I started playing again after a year travelling (i.e. not playing!!!) I worried about it for ages but in the end just made the change and got on with it. It wasn't as drastic as I thought and I didn't think about it too much, just went with what was comfy!

19. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Yup i agree, personally i think embrochure position doesn't really matter as long as you feel you can play comfortably... i just put the instrument to my lips and blow! :D

Just do what feels natural and you wont go far wrong