Changing Instrument due to ill health

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by CAVBASSMAN, May 31, 2006.

1. CAVBASSMAN

CAVBASSMAN New Member

Although I love playing both the EEb and BBb Basses in my band I may have to give them up due to weight and back problems. The weight problem is easy to solve:) but the back problem isn't:eek:.

my problem is that the bandmaster wants me to stay on the Bass as he says I'm suited there but I want to carry a smaller instrument (I learned trombone as well in school).

My question is if he won't let me move to a smaller instrument (where there is a vacancy in the band) should I resign and move to a band that will accommodate my health needs?

2. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

Sorry to hear that but tell the band you can only play Bass on contests etc and cant do marching jobs with it. I bet you will be offered another instrument on the marching jobs as bands are always short.

3. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Tough one this. I had a friend in an old band of mine who had a similar problem. He weighed about 25 stone, and hat to have an operation done on his back after falling and damaging a couple of bones. Poor lad couldn't lift anything heavier than a knife and fork for a while.

Last I heard he'd moved from BB to Eb to help his back, but wound up hating the thing as he'd been on BB since he was about 18.

If you did want to stay on bass, he found a tuba stand from an american company on the web, (not sure where but I'll ask him tonight) which meant he could go back to BB with no problems. That said, the band didn't take marching jobs.

Other than that, you've got to put your health first. Banding isn't worth putting yourself through back trouble for.

Good luck, and keep on playing somehow, whatever you decide.

4. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

The bands gonna have to accept that your health must come first and fore most. If they're not willing to budge they're not leaving you many options.

Our 2nd trom moved to bari cos the trom was playing havoc with his dodgy shoulder, luckily we had a space available there for him to fill at the time.

5. Lawrencediana

Lawrencediana Member

This is a tough one, as an MD I can see this from both angles. You don,t want to lose a player who is fulfilling a useful role, but at the same time you have to consider the wishes of the player. You need to sit the MD down and tell him how bad things are for you, without giving ultimatums, but if things are as bad as you say they are then for the good of yourself and the band you will have to make the point very strongly you need to move.

6. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

No contest. Either you play what you want or change bands. The MD has the choice, keep a committed player and look for a new bass player or look for a new bass player.

7. persins

persins Member

If it is a matter of health then you have to do what is best for you. If there are compromises which mean that you can continue for the most part but just not on marching jobs then fine but you cannot compromise your health for the sake of banding.
    If it is just a matter of carrying the instrument, then perhaps using a stand as Andy suggests may help.

For clarification, can you tell us what your ideal scenario is? Would you rather stay on bass, move to Trombone or leave?

8. Matt-Trom939

Matt-Trom939 Member

A friend of mine had an operation on his hip but has now gone from baritone to Eb bass. But he tells them wenever we march that he cant march with the bass so he just plays the baritone.

9. stephenmrry

stephenmrry Member

In our band we usually find that braces is big prob cause a player gets so far on an instrument then they have to move and they lose interest cause they struggle with it and then leave!!!!

10. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Suited there or not, health comes first and you know how far you can either push yourself or know it's sensible not to play it at all.... Sounds like your bandmaster isn't thinking of your health, but the bands health....

If it were me, I'd change bands if the MD/bandmaster can not accomodate for my needs or is just selfish... Give your commitment elsewhere....

Or... just show up with the smaller instrument you wanna play and sit in a seat... in a concert sitaution it doesn't matter how many players there are on a part really.... As an MD I'd be happy for extra players on seats and would try and get a replacement Bass player so you can be happy with what you want to do. Contests can be worked around seeing as theres only so many in a year anyway...

Good luck.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    health
    problem
    weight
    back problems
    instrument
  12. Lawrencediana

Lawrencediana Member

Strangely enough the situation occurred last night at rehearsal. A move to another instrument seems to be causing a player health problems. The player came to me to discuss the problem and we decided together that the best course of action was to move him to a position that would not put his health at risk. Sort this problem out quickly for your sake as much as the bands