Changing from high pitch to low pitch bflat cornet

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by DAVID SARBUTTS, Feb 10, 2017.

1. DAVID SARBUTTS

DAVID SARBUTTS New Member

Hello, I have got a Westminster Besson cornet which is 50 years old and high pitch. I have returned to play and need it converting to low pitch. Does anyone know if I can buy a tuning slide to sort it or how can the conversion be done?
    Thanks Dave

2. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

This rather goes back into the 'mists of time' to when 'I was a Lad', etc. Back then I had an Eb Bass with the tuning slide pulled out (not sure whether it had been lengthened or not) and the valve slides were also pulled out too (as I recall the inner slides, for each valve section, had scribe markers on them to show how far to pull them out). There are a lot of old Basses still around that have been converted to low pitch and some manufacturers did sell replacement tuning slides for the pitch conversion, IMHO it's most unlikely that you'll be able to buy one now.

If you offer money to one of the better repairers then someone will add tubing to your tuning slide for you. How much to add I wouldn't like to hazard a guess at but someone like MoominDave will know (he might answer a private message) or be able to work it out for you. Whether that modification would be a wise use of your money on an old instrument is another matter, and most bands will lend a player a Cornet so do you really need to use your Westminster?

I hope that the above helps, and maybe prompts a better answer from someone else.

3. DAVID SARBUTTS

4. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

A long owned and familiar instrument can have a 'feel good' factor so I understand David's decision to have his Westminster Cornet modified, perhaps someone reading might suggest a capable brass repairer in the Chichester area for him.

By contacting some local bands it might be possible to find out who they use to repair their instruments, this search might be a helpful start point: Brass Bands Map - Brass Band Results

5. DAVID SARBUTTS

Hi, I have been to Mikes music shop in Bognor today and he has sorted it for me.
    Thanks Dave