Change of User name.

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by Columbo, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Columbo

Columbo Member

Can I change user name or will I just have to notify that I have set up new user name so as not to be accused of using 2 accounts as it were?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Change of User
    new user
    accounts
  3. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Hello jason,

First of all, you should NOT setup a second account.... ;)

If you think you have a legitimate reason to change your username, you can send your request to one of the moderators and administrators, and we will decide.

Her is an excerpt of our rules:

10. Your tMP Account and General Rules:
    (a) Multiple tMP Accounts are not generally permitted. If you need to have multiple tMP accounts, please email one of the tMP team explaining why. tMP reserves the right to delete multiple accounts without explanation - all posts relating to the multiple account will be lost and the original account may be suspended.

(b) tMP does not permit username changes except under certain circumstances. These are:
    • if your tMP username contains a reference to your current band name and you have changed band.
    • if your username contains your real name (or elements thereof) and you decide you no longer wish this.
    • any other exceptional reason the tMP team deems appropriate.
    If the tMP team allow a username change we will add "Previously known as..." to your status bar (under your username). We will do this to avoid confusion, and to identify your former username. Also, in cases of username changes due to band or instrument moves, the tMP team will ask you to choose a new username that does not make reference your new band or instrument.

(c) Your tMP username must not be the name of any known musician/composer (or his/her alias) past or present, unless you are that person in question. This is to avoid transference of opinion. Members registering with such a name will have that account deleted and be asked to reregister with another.

4. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

I would also like to change my user name - but only on a Saturday evening. I thought Dame Edna Bickerdyke would be quite nice :D

5. Columbo

Columbo Member

There's always one! Its probably more appropriate!! LOL!

6. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Come to the Cabaret, eh, Mr B?

7. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

So if I had, perhaps misguidedly, used my real name in my username and, for whatever reason, I wished to become anonymous, I could change my username to something else, but my previous username, i.e. my real name, would be included in my status bar. Have I got that right? If so, is there anyway that I could become anonymous, if I so wished?

8. I asked TMP to delete my account and was told you can't delete accounts. So can you, or can't you? Because I still want mine deleting!

9. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

The rule is that you can have one account. If you have multiple accounts, the team reserves the right to "delete" the duplicates. This does not mean that the accounts are actually "deleted", but that they are merged together, so that all of the posts made by the multiple accounts are preserved under one user name.

Except in extremely rare circumstances, it is the policy of the tMP team NOT to delete anything that does not violate the tMP rules. That includes user accounts and their associated posts.

(and to the member quoted above - if you want your account deleted, why are you still using it to make new posts? Just wondering . . .)

The same thinking applies to changes of user name. We frequently get requests to change a user name because the person wants to distance themselves from earlier posts. This is not a legitimate reason to change a user name, in our opinion. This is the reason that we implemented the policy of putting the former user name in the status field.

User name changes are considered on a case-by-case basis, and are usually not done until there has been some discussion among the moderating team. If someone had a good reason for becoming truly anonymous, it is possible that the team would agree not to publicize the old name.

Also, when the user name is changed it is changed for ALL of the posts associated with that user, not just the ones going forward. So a change of name may not really help you be anonymous, if you have posted identifying information in the past.

Of course, you could have chosen to be anonymous when you first registered, as tMP does not require any particular information in a user name and does not require that you identify yourself in a signature.

10. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

Thank you for your response. Regarding choosing to be anonymous on first registration, that is why I said "perhaps misguidedly" in my post. Not everyone is forum savvy and may, at a later time, regret being quite so identifiable.

11. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I must admit to feeling a little uncertain in the last couple of years at the amount of vitriol that gets thrown at people. This was never a problem in the early days of tMP. Rather than indulge in rational debate with argument and counter-argumant, people these days just seem to let the argument go to their heads and then start attacking each other.

Although I am quite happy to be known most of the time, there have been occasions where the vitriol has been so strong that I did consider anonymity as an option. Why can't people just maintain their cool?

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Change of User
    new user
    accounts
  13. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Couldn't agree with you more Mike, couldn't agree with you more.

14. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Very True Mike, I think the general membership of tMP still have more respect for the people who will put their name to their arguments. It wasn't something I considered when i signed up, it just said user name so i picked one (guess what we'd been playing at band that night!) but i'm not hiding from anyone so i've always had my name in my sig. I'm not sure what some people's problem is. We had a good debate last year on DSOFTM but it doesn't stop me from chatting to you, it's just a difference in opinion. I'll have a pint with next weekend if you're around the bar. I wouldn't invite an anomymous stranger to have a pint!

15. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Active Member

That made me laugh so much my buttons started popping off. That was half an hour ago, there's been no let up yet and I have shot the cat 3 times.

My contribution today, to the latest cracker of a thread about mouthpieces, in which I expressed my preference for a large cup size seems to have disappeared within 5 minutes, for example.

Institutional Ageism I reckon it is.

Old Bob