Change mouthpiece?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Jonny5Stars, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Jonny5Stars

Jonny5Stars New Member

Started playing cornet regualrly about 6 months ago after 10 years hiatus due to university and young family. Was playing euphonium and Eb on and off during that time.
    Started on last cornet so fairly quickly got my lip in for two octaves G to G. However difficulty with lip endurance and notes about top G. Now I'm on the front row I need A's.

Should I change my mouthpiece (currently Denis Wick RW4) to something smaller such as DW 5? Tried DW 5 and can reach A, B , C fairly easily but I'd have to get used to it as the intonation is different.
    Or do I just wait for my lips to recondition to the highter notes?
  2. SteveDunster

SteveDunster New Member

Personally I would recommend you don't change mouthpieces. Smaller mouthpieces can make some things feel easier but they can make other things harder.

In my opinion, you should train (practice) for your new technical requirements - and don't try and force the pace. I've noticed when players move onto cornet, the stamina and range can take a frustratingly long time to come.

If you want to play high notes, practice high notes - and don't stress if it is not an instant fix (easy to say I know, when you've got an MD growling at you - but that's my advice, I've seen players try and rush this process and the results have not been pleasant).

...after all, if you're used to running in 5 mile races - and then you want to run in 10 mile races, all you can do is change your training regime and wait.

I hope my opinion is of some help

Good luck and congratulations on moving onto the front row

3. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Only change if you really have to. I view it as a last resort after you've tried everything else.
  4. Glehany

Glehany Member

I would echo the above points, changing mouthpieces rarely solves problems although it can help with some things a bit. There's swings and roundabouts too, and a smaller mpc will make it harder to make a really big sound. I certainly wouldn't go for a wick no.5 rim, but maybe that's just me as I find the 4 rim small enough as it is. Hard work is going to be the key.

Having said that..........If the problem is stamina in the upper register (above G-ish anyway) you could try switching to a DW 4b or even 3b. (A 4RW cup is quite big for the front row if you're relatively new to smaller brass.) Your tone will probably become a bit brighter though, but I know of plenty of front row players in championship bands who do well with 3b or 4bs. Another alternative is the Yamaha 16E, which has a softer sound than the Wick b cups, but is a bit less tiring than a straight wick 4RW.

Anyway, just my tuppence worth!

5. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

stick with the mouthpiece you have got and keep practising. The upper notes will come in time
  6. flugelboy

flugelboy Member

i would also echo what has been said already.i used to switch mouthpieces when i was on cornet and it was basically just a cheating way.i benifited fa more from sticking with the same i would say don't change unless you really have to!!
  7. smiler_38

smiler_38 Member

I think Kiz7 hit the nail on the head. Stick with the mouthpiece, and just practise with some lip flexibility exercises. I would recomend practising from bottom C down to F# then trying to play further down to 'pedal' C (just using the lips). try that for a few mins then just go up the chromatics from top G up - you should find it's feels very easy.

The only time it might help changing mouthpeices is if you play two instruments like trumpet/cornet or cornet/flugel. I had to change from my WIck 5b to a Bill Lewington McCann on my cornet, as I found swapping to the Yamaha Xeno Trumpet's 7C seemed to be stressing my lip.
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2007