Championship section, A blessing or a curse?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by JonP, Apr 5, 2008.

1. JonP

JonP Member

This website seems to promote (to use a quote) "a level playing field" for all.

Why not adopt this sentiment by having an open contest?

Somewhere some how it must be possible?

Like a non handicap golf competition.

Lets se what we are all made of!!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    blessing
    non handicap golf competition
    level playing field
    Championship section
  3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Water, mostly.

Blimey, don't you sleep? At least I've got the excuse of being 6 time zones behind...

4. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Aye, haven't you got a nappy to change, mate?

5. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Many contests used to have an Open section.
    Scaba allow bands to enter the section above them (subject to time allowing this to happen). There was an instance when a band entered 3 sections and did well ion all 3.
    The idea works for me.

6. i thnik there are a lot of bands which are happy in the 1st section but struggle with the step up and just wait to be relegated!

but i think an open section does work for certain contests

7. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

The Fife Charities contest is in this format, March, Hymn and Test Piece, open to bands from all sections. Has certainly had a few interesting results in the past!

8. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

Yes, shame there isn't a single contest anywhere like this, where bands from all the sections from youth to the elite of the championship compete openly against one another on the same stage.

Except of course for the one on 16th May at Delph

and the one at Dobcross

and the one at Friezland

and the one at Greenfield

and the one at Greenacres

and the one at Grotton

and the one at Lees

and the one at Lydgate

and the one at Scouthead

and the one at Uppermill

and the one at Broadoak

and the one at Carrbrook

and the one at Denton

and the one at Droylsden

and the one at Duckinfield

and the one at Heyrod

and the one at Hurst Village

and the one at Micklehurst

and the one at Millbrook

and the one at Stalybridge

and the one at Stalybridge Celtic

and the one at Upper Mossley

9. critic

critic Member

Nice one

10. critic

critic Member

How can the championship section b a curse??

11. it can!!
    i know a number of bands who would rather stay in the 1st section and for whom promotion means problems. difficulty of music, players leaving etc.
    maybe its all in the mind but the step up form 1st to championship section is (i think) more difficult than any other

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    blessing
    non handicap golf competition
    level playing field
    Championship section
  13. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

The Land O' Burns invitation contest in Troon is open in this respect. Giving band of all sections a chance to pit themselves against other section bands

14. Lawrencediana

Lawrencediana Member

I am afraid this thread is a bit obvious. The problem for any band joining the championship section now is that because the top few places are normally taken up by the established bands in an area, this only leaves the bottom half to compete against which means survival in the championship section is hard. With fewer bands in the top flight due to the creation of the 1st section it is impossible to become an also ran championship section band. By that I mean a band who frequently came in the top 10 without troubling the top 6 but maintained their championship standing by some kind of quality mediocrity and before you all jump down my throat I know its a contradiction in terms but the truth is that kind of band were good enough never to be troubled by relegation but not good enough to beat the big boys. That is why bands from the 1st section tend to go up and down like the proverbial yoyo.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
  15. Lawrencediana

Lawrencediana Member

Jon I think you misunderstand what TMP's level playing field is. TMP promote a freedom of speech on a level playing field allowing all members the right to have their say. This thread is along the same lines as your last thread seeming to say you are better than everyone else and because of that they should not be heard. In response to your contest challenge most top bands would not want to enter a wholly open contest for 2 reasons firstly nothing to gain and secondly too much to lose.

16. JonP

JonP Member

This is your opinion, which is valid and should be heard. Its wrong however. I dont have any "better than you" thoughts at all.
    Why would I??

Your giving me impression you have some kind of inferiority complex or something. I really dont want anyones opinion ignored or surpressed in any way.

17. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Yes you do, that was the topic of one of your previous threads. So if you want to discuss that further, please do it over there. If you can't even keep to your own topics, it just proves you're not really interested in discussing it, you just want to stir.

18. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

Ah, ha, recognition at last.

19. MissRepiano

MissRepiano New Member

There's an open entertainment's contest at exmouth every year.

20. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

There used to be an entertainment contest at Buxton that was open, sadly no more due to loss of sponsorship. I got the impression it wasn't popular with top section bands who didn't want to risk a whuppin' at the hands of Scrogglethorpe Collliery Training Band.

The open format is part of the magic of Whit Friday; if there were to be more open contests I'd certainly encourage my band to enter but I think you'd encounter a lot of reticence from bands in the higher sections because of the aforementioned whuppin' risk.

21. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

I'm pretty sure that it was 4th to 1st section. I have won it with Skelmanthorpe when they were in the 1st several times and with Milnrow too (they disqualified us for having 4 shed builders!)
    Once we were promoted we were no longer eligable.

22. critic

critic Member

You make some good points but in yorkshire for example Rothwell Hepworth carlton mainhave all challenged the so called established bands and qualified for london as well as having succsess at other major contests. iagree to stay in the top flight is hard butespecially in yorkshire its a achievment a good post all the same