Championship Manager!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by johnflugel, Jan 20, 2004.

1. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

This new topic was inspired by Dave Payn's recent football quiz.

First of all, can I say that I am by no means a computer person. I am not good at games, spreadsheets, downloads....infact my eleven year old sis put's me to shame. I even emailed Keppler to put my picture in my profile because I am that naff :oops:

I have however, like many, developed an unhealthy obsession with Championship manager. I think every bloke in the world seems to play this game to varying degrees of success I might add :lol:

For your amusement, I have just been sacked as manager of Nottingham Forest. After two seasons of narrowly missing the play offs (three points away) and in my third season was 21st by December and the supporters had formed a protest group to get me out...nice!

I feel like Peter Reid....is anyone actually any good at this game? What are your secrets? Any tales to share? As Manager of Bury did you manage to bring in Ronaldo on a free?

John

2. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Like St. Martin of Parkhead I'm still trying to get the Celts out of the first group stage of the Champions League. I have however gone one better than him and actually won the UEFA cup.

3. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

i tried playing as brentford for a while, but once i had actually managed to get them near the top of the league all my good players were stolen!! very upsetting, so I started again as Man Utd, spent shed loads of cash and won everything!

4. Steve

Steve Active Member

Depending on which one you are playing there are some really useful cheats if you want some fun. Kinda takes the challenge out of it but you win lots and have a really good team!!!!!!! No effort and maximum results, my favourite!!!

5. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Amazing how computer games can mirror real life so accurately sometimes..... ;-) :lol:

6. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

hehe... it really is...

even at the end of the season leeds went down and had to sell all their players for peanuts!!

...here smithy smithy...

7. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

:) :) :)

8. MattB

MattB Member

I have had varying degrees of success with this game!

As manager of the mighty Scunthorpe I was there 6 seasons before we did anything, then got promoted to division two, narrowly missed the playoffs in our first year and the because we were mid table the following season I got the sack! Charming!

9. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

I play Champ Man 02/03 sporadically due to the fact i have to uninstall most of my other software to fit in on my PC!

My last game was as Newcastle with a very young side. Ibrahimovic and Ronaldinho up front!!! Financially secure and with 2 premiership runners up spots under my belt, along with the charity shield and the league cup, i was entering my 3rd season looking good for the championship. All was going well until i tried to save it and discovered i had run out of space on my hard drive. doh. alas, it corrupted the save game file and i haven't quite worked up the enthusiasm to start all over again. yet.

10. yr_epa

yr_epa Member

Have been playing CM for many years. I must admit the best CM I played was CM 2 97/98 (i think), I had a Brazilian striker under the name of Mauro Carlos (he was actually Romario's profile under a different name and a different age!). He was awesome! I'm sure I played about 10 seasons in that specific game.

The trouble with CM is, it does seem to get a bit boring after a while (3 or 4 seasons) after winning virtually everything! :lol:

If I had to describe CM in one word, it would have to be:-

superbfootballgameandveryaddictive!

GA

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    topic
    football quiz
    all
    sis
    means
  12. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

I can confidently predict (if you belive in the true power of Championship Manager) that in 2008 Man Utd and Arsenal will both be in financial trouble and i will lead West Ham to the premiership title.

Remember where you heard this forst and get your bets on early.

13. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Eidos how make Championship manager sponsor my team AFC Wimbledon.
    I bought ChampMan4 and had to wait 2 seasons to wait for them to become a conference team.
    I am now in the premiership with them nearing a european spot, with the ageing David Beckham as my playmaker!
    What makes it sweeter is that Franchise FC (Wimbledon AFC) are suffering in Div3 with crap crowds!

14. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

And next season Birmingham will be the early leaders of the premiership with an average of 4 goals a match! :shock: