Champions League.....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Dave Payn, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

....come on then, bring out the Arsenal gags. Here, even as a Gooner, are the ones I've received so far. ;-)

Why do housewives love Arsenal ?
    Because they stay on top for ages and then come second

What do Arsenal fans do when they reach the semi-final of the Champions League ?
    They turn off the PlayStation.

Arsenal have brought out a new dartboard.
    It's got no doubles or trebles on it
  2. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Which is the odd one out from the following....The Champion's League, The FA Cup, Jens Lehman and The Premiership?

A: Jens Lehman...he's the only thing that went to Arsenal this season :lol:
  3. Andy Moore

Andy Moore Member

hehe i like that one.

Don 't know any meself but bein a utd fan i was cheering v loudly for chelsea last night, must be very nice for ranieri . .
  4. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

A United fan from Merseyside?? Did you escape from London or something?? ;-)
  5. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I wish he hadn't..... come back David Seaman! Bob Wilson! Or even Jim Furnell! Anyone but Lehmann! (There must be in Internet based joke about Lehmann constantly 'surfing the net', somewhere)
  6. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

I thought all Utd fans were from Thailand , the USA ( MAN YOUUUU ) or Surrey!!!!!!
    shame about the dirty arse...I would have liked to have seen a all british Champions League final..
    still what about Real Madrid...getting knocked out by one of your own players out on Loan....
    Sick As A Pig Brian!!!!!!! OLE'
  7. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I was cheering very loudly last night for Chelsea, especially after watching Robert Pires dive around like it was going out of fashion...
  8. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

OK, so this is slightly different topic, but I thought I'd abuse the forum provided....
  9. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Thieves raided the Arsenal trophy room last night and ransacked the place.

Police are looking for three men with a red carpet!!!!!!

What's the difference between Arsenal and a three pin plug.

Nothing, they're both useless in Europe.
  10. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

No chance of getting Brooking back, then?
  11. HBB

HBB Active Member

groan :roll:
  12. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

And that comes from a Celtic fan! How's the 'cartoon rodent sponsored' UEFA Cup doing at the mo? :lol: :lol: :wink:
  13. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I'm sure Barcelona are taking it quite seriously... :wink:
  14. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Don't you mean 'were'? :wink:

Anyway, only friendly 'joshin', JM. Hope Celtic go on to win it.
  15. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

I still find it hard to call it the 'Champions League'. It should be re-named 'The countries with large tv audiences can have up to 4 entries in this competition league'.

Bring back the European Cup. Straight ko over 2 legs, that was good stuff.

Quick european trivia question: Who were the first english club to beat Bayern Munich in a major european competition at the Olympic Stadium in Munich?
  16. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

was it norwich by any chance? I know their only moment of European glory was against Bayern so I suppose that could be it... :wink:
  17. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

It most certainly was......and I was there to see it! :D :D :D :D
  18. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I agree with you on the name of the competition chunky. They shouldn't really call it the Champions league when teams up to fourth place in their respective leagues can gain entry. I have no problem with this though as I think it is great to have all the top class European teams in the same competition; I just wish they would change the name of the competition to reflect this. However I disagree you about going back to the old knockout format. I think that the league format of the group stage makes for a far more exciting competition.
  19. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

And I wonder what the bookies' odds on a semi final line up of Chelsea v Monaco and Porto v Deportivo were, particularly after the first legs! Crraaazeeeee! Even as a gutted Gooner, I'm rooting for Chelsea! (That'll be the kiss of death!)
  20. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Perhaps they called it 'Champions League' as calling it the'European League' might be a step too far for traditionalists who want, and rightly so in my opinion, their domestic leagues to remain just this.

I agree that it is good to see the top european sides in action against each other, but in my personal opinion I feel that it has become somewhat over saturated and it does not have quite the same appeal for me as it did when it was the old format. There was more excitement as if one of the big boys slipped up in the 1st leg of an early round match. They only had 90 minutes to rectify the situation rather maybe another 5 matches.

I also ask this John, and its not meant disrespectfully, but do you prefer seeing the league basis as it is the only chance Scots get to see a competitive league?