Champions ask for "Bye"

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by Keppler, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

2. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Shame... but their decision....

we still love them

3. swiss-hoerndli

swiss-hoerndli New Member

Does somebody knows, why they don't go to the European :confused:

I was so happy to see them in Groningen! :cry:
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I should imagine the decision has been brought about mainly due to the loss of their sponsorship, and being unable to under-write the costs involved. It is a pity for them to miss a contest that has obviously suited them well in recent years; as to the question of a "bye" being approved, I'm not sure that it would receive favourable consideration, as it could be felt to set a dangerous precedent. A number of bands from various countries have withdrawn due to financial concerns in the past, and may feel somewhat annoyed if YBS are given special treatment, regardless of their record-breaking run in the competition.
  5. bubble2500

bubble2500 New Member

Maybe 'King David' can explain the sadfull choice of YBS during his stay this week in the city of Groningen.

If money turns out to be the reason, it would be a real loss for the brass-world: how will other sponsors of championship-bands act after such a heavy decission?

What if the EBBA could sponsor YBS just for this only year? With their record of titles, YBS simply should be present at the EBBC.
  6. brassmaid

brassmaid New Member

Who is taking their place ? Reg Vardy ?
  7. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

i doubt there will be another band to take our place as we were in the competition as reigning european champions not english champions.
  8. postie

postie Member

I think it a great shame that YBS can't defend their title, but that the way it goes some times. I would certainly hope that EBBA do invite them for 2006.
  9. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Wouldn't they just invite the next highest finishing band from last years European Championships that didn't qualify?

Brass Band Willebroek are in, right?
    Scottish Co-op are in right?
    Fairey FP (Music) minus Mr. Walkley would be next right?
  10. bubble2500

bubble2500 New Member

The Scottisch Co-op don't mention enything about the European Championships at their scedule on their website.

I know they have withdrawn for the Worldchampionships, but did they withdraw for the European as well?
  11. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

12. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I think in the past, it also happened that a 2nd band from the organizing country was invited to replace a late withdrawal (maybe this was in 1st section, or I could also be completely wrong)

In that case De Bazuin Oenkerk would replace YBS...
  13. hboee

hboee New Member

Willebroek came 2nd last year, therefor Belgium can invite on more band to Groningen.

It`s a shame that YBS won`t attend the Europeans, because of their loss of sponsor, but it would be wrong by EBBA to sponsor them. I will just remind all of you, that other members in other bands have to pay out of their own pockets to get to the Europeans... (Last years trip to Glasgow costed each member of Stavanger brassband 300 pounds...)
  14. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Maybe you're right. YBS declines its automatic invitation as European Champion, so the invitation goes to the 2nd placed band, BB Willebroek (like, e.g., was done when Whitburn was invited instead of Scottish Co-op or B&R instead of Fairey's...) But Willebroek is also the reigning Belgian champion, so I think that the 2nd placed band from the Belgian Nationals should be invited (like the time that YBS was invited when Black Dyke were both European Champion and National Champion of GB...). That would be Brass Band Buizingen then...