Celebrities who have played brass instruments

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Getzonica, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

I had a really random idea earlier for a poster but was wondering whether anyone can help me. :)

Can anyone name a celebrity who plays or played a brass instrument (ie footballers, film starts, tv presenters etc) that children / teenagers might recognise?

I know Justin Bieber plays the trumpet and "Smithy" from Gavin and Stacey used to play the cornet. Is there anyone else?
  2. barrytone

barrytone Member

I seem to remember somewhere that I saw Ewan MacGregor actually playing the french horn when he played tenor horn in Brassed Off.
  3. Di B

Di B Member

4. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Steve Sutton (goalkeeper for Forest in the 80/90s) baritone

Roy Castle trumpet
  5. Keith

Keith Member

Dianna Vickers (off of the X-factor) plays the Trumpet.
  6. bbg

bbg Member

Ewan MacGregor was taught french horn by our recently-retired , founding MD, George Annan snr (father of "Kofi" from this website).

Olympic curler, Lynne Cameron, played with Perthshire a few years ago; we also had the company for a few months, on cornet, of renowned operatic tenor Barry Banks.
  7. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I'd have trouble recognising Steve Sutton, and I've played in a band with him :biggrin:
  8. Daniel Sheard

Daniel Sheard Member

Jonathan Frakes (Cmdr Riker in Star Trek TNG) plays trombone - when you see him playing on the episodes, that is his playing.
  9. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

Similar thread started last year here.
  10. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

Steve Sutton now plays Bass Trombone :)

and Richard Gere is a trumpet player
  11. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

No. Freaking. Way. :eek:

I heart him even more now...........:redface:
  12. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I used to be at college with John MacMurray, who went on to become Principal Trumpet with the Halle for many years, before his untimely death a few years ago. On one of the last occasions I was able to speak with him he told me he had been giving private trumpet tuition to Eric Cantona; don't know whether he ever progressed beyond beginner level ...
  13. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

Thanks for all the names! :tup
  14. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

There was a famous Opera singer in the 1960s called Rowland Jones who was reputed to have played Euph with Dyke. (I think !)

- Mr Wilx
  15. timbloke

timbloke Member

Was flicking through the channels last night and saw Homer Simpson playing trombone. :sup

Also Stewie Griffin once had a job playing tuba for fat people (although it doesn't look much like a tuba to me!

16. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

17. Pondasher

Pondasher Member

Rowland Jones

Yes, you are correct Ian - Rowland was Solo Euphonium in Black Dyke Mills and then became a famous opera singer.

Keith Quinn
  18. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Victoria Wood has recently been having trumpet lessons, after doing her Brassed Off parody a few years back
  19. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

We, of a certain age-group, will remember Jimmy Edwards (a very famous comedian of his time), regularly playing Euph, Trombone and Tuba.
    He portrayed an interesting character as a Headteacher, in a television series called 'Whacko'.
    He also appeared on the big screen and on stage.
    Sad, aren't I?:(